LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
- Volunteers Corner: PUMP OPERATOR TRAINING SIMULATOR. Molenaar, Brian; Dennis, Chris // Fire Engineering;Oct2006, Vol. 159 Issue 10, p12
The article provides information on the introduction of the curriculum for pump operator training simulator in Wisconsin. The curriculum has required students to spend considerable time developing pumping skills for the practical skills evaluation in addition to the classroom instruction. The...
- Recruitment + Training = Retention. NEDDER, JOE // Fire Engineering;Sep2009, Vol. 162 Issue 9, p14
The article presents a discussion of the urgency and need for volunteer training of firefighters. There are two volunteer fire service changes that must be identified. One is the population shift to more rural areas that have put more demand on the volunteer fire service. Another change is that...
- EBVFD busy in Fire Prevention Week. Szymanski, J.A. // East Bernard Express (TX);10/16/2008, Vol. 65 Issue 42, p6
The article reports that firefighters of the East Bernard Volunteer Fire Department (EBVFD) were busy doing their duties during the Fire Prevention Week.
- Firefighters: family got out 'just in time'. RANDOLPH, ALEXANDRIA // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);8/19/2015, Vol. 142 Issue 37, p16
The article reports on the statement of the Marble Falls Volunteer Firefighters regarding the luck of the Garrison family in getting away with their lives in a burning home on August 16, 2015.
- Volunteer firefighters are professionals, too. Fix, John // Central Penn Business Journal;3/25/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 13, p16
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Considering combinations" in the March 11, 2011 issue.
- NVFC offers training grants. // Fire Engineering;Mar1996, Vol. 149 Issue 3, p37
Reports that the National Volunteer Fire Council Foundation is offering grants to county, local and regional fire schools. Format of training.
- Texans On the Fire Line. Maccrossan, Gerard // Fiscal Notes;Nov2011, p10
The article focuses on the firefighting and fire prevention efforts in Texas in 2011. It notes the fire at Possum Kingdom in Palo Pinto County which charred more than 126,000 acres involving 160 homes and two churches. It also indicates that most of firefighters who risk their lives to protect...
- Chapter 9: A New Tradition: Fire-Fighting Sisters. Sanna, Ellyn // Firefighters' Folklore;2003, p80
In 1851, the fire alarm sounded through the streets of San Francisco, California. Volunteers for Knickerbocker Co. No. 5 dashed to the fire station and began to lug the engine to the scene of the fire. Unfortunately, not enough men had turned out to carry the heavy fire engine. As the men...
- ENTERTAINING INSTRUCTION. Steel, Luke // Fire Engineering;Jul2003, Vol. 156 Issue 7, p10
Focuses on teaching volunteer fire fighters in the U.S. Cooperativeness of firefighting students; Interest in learning; Author's experience in attending and teaching firefighting classes.