Importance of Assessing Musculoskeletal Disease in Older Women
- Increasing number and incidence of osteoporotic fractures of the proximal humerus in elderly people. Kannus, Pekka; Palvanen, MIka // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/26/96, Vol. 313 Issue 7064, p1051
Emphasizes the increasing incidence of osteoporotic fractures of the proximal humerus in elderly people. Risk factors; Signs and symptoms; Incidence ratios.
- Managing the Aging Patient. D'Ambrosia, Robert; Kilpatrick, Jennifer A. // Orthopedics;Jun2003, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p608
The article considers the capabilities of orthopedists in the U.S. to handle the special needs of aging patients. Osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, arthritis and other related fractures are a major issue in the aging population. Orthopedists must be equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge...
- The Relationship between Peak Power of Isokinetic Exercise on a Step Ergometer and Muscle Activity Characteristics –Surface EMG Frequency Analysis–. Mizumoto, Atsushi; Shimada, Hiroyuki; Ihira, Hikaru; Nomura, Tomohiro; Furuna, Taketo; Suzukawa, Megumi // Rigakuryoho Kagaku;2012, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p411
[Purpose] The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between peak power of the lower extremities during isokinetic movement on a step ergometer and muscle activity characteristics using EMG frequency analysis of community-dwelling elderly adults. [Methods] Twelve elderly women (mean...
- A review of musculoskeletal aging and treatment issues in geriatric patients. Gorevic, Peter D. // Geriatrics;Aug2004, Vol. 59 Issue 8, p28
Examines several musculoskeletal aging and treatment issues in geriatric patients with osteoarthritis (OA). Scope of the OA problem; Algorithm for managing OA in geriatric patients; Pathologic and radiologic correlates. INSET: Take Home points.
- Prevention and Treatment of Multiple Osteoporotic Compression Fracture. Ye-Soo Park; Hee-Soo Kim // Asian Spine Journal;2014, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p382
Korea's demographic profile is undergoing tremendous change as the country rapidly ages at one of the fastest rates in the world. Indeed, the country is expected to become an "aged society" in 2018 when the proportion of elderly is estimated to reach 14.3% of the total population. With the...
- CME Geriatrics Exam. // Geriatrics;Aug2004, Vol. 59 Issue 8, p35
Presents a quiz on several musculoskeletal aging and treatment issues in geriatric patients with osteoarthritis. Key issues of interest; Analysis of pertinent topics and relevant issues; Implications on medical care.
- Fitness, Performance and Injury Prevention Strategies for the Senior Golfer. Versteegh, Theodore H.; Vandervoort, Anthony A.; Lindsay, David M.; Lynn, Scott K. // International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching;Jul2008, Vol. 3 Issue 0, p199
Current demographic trends in countries where golf is popular indicate that the number of senior golfers will increase significantly in the coming decades. Thus golf coaches and teaching professionals benefit from having a working knowledge about the aging process and how this will affect the...
- RESEARCH Review. Ryan, Patricia // Research Review (International Council on Active Aging);Jul2014, Vol. 14 Issue 21, p1
The article offers information related to some researches done in the field of active aging industry as of July 2014. Topics discussed include high health care cost to several musculoskeletal conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, health benefits of physical...
- Musculoskeletal medicine. Brown, Victoria Tzortziou // Pulse;6/23/2010, Vol. 70 Issue 22, p24
The article reviews several articles including "IOF position statement: vitamin D recommendations for older adults," by B. Dawson-Hughes and colleagues, which appeared in the periodical "Osteoporosis International" on April 27, 2010, "Drug Safety Update" which appeared in the May 10, 2010 issue,...