Sam Wineburg, critic of history education
- Assessments and Standards: The Case of History. Rabb, Theodore K. // Education Week;11/28/2007, Vol. 27 Issue 13, p36
The author focuses history education and the kinds of assessment that work best to evaluate student proficiency. The article uses six imaginary history classrooms in which each teacher focuses on different aspects of U.S. history through 1900 to show that flexibility should be considered a...
- Imperfect models, imperfect conclusions: An exploratory study of multiple-choice tests and historical knowledge. Reich, Gabriel A. // Journal of Social Studies Research;Jan2013, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p3
This article explores the extent to which multiple-choice history/social studies exams measure student knowledge of social studies content. This article presents descriptive statistics that quantify the findings from a qualitative study. Data for this study were collected from 13 tenth-grade...
- Assessing the Teaching of History. Banner Jr., James M. // Education Week;7/15/2009, Vol. 28 Issue 36, p24
The author argues that history assessments tend to assess either what is being taught or what students are learning, but that in order to be meaningful both are necessary. Students' learning, he indicates, must be measured in terms of historical knowledge as well as historical thinking. He also...
- So Many Choices, So Little Time: Strategies for Understanding and Taking Multiple-Choice Exams in History. Blackey, Robert // History Teacher;Nov2009, Vol. 43 Issue 1, p53
The article discusses several strategies and insights for maximizing performance on multiple choice examinations in history and social studies. According to the article, these strategies will work best when used with historical thinking skills and when the material being tested is understood by...
- History Maker. GREENE, KIM // Instructor;Winter2014, Vol. 123 Issue 4, p10
An interview with Jill Szymanski, a history teacher at Brandywine Springs School in Wilmington, Delaware, is presented. She discusses the difference between history and social studies, how she finds time to teach history when there is such an emphasis on English, language and arts (ELA) and...
- The Dean of Christian Scholars. REAM, TODD C. // Books & Culture (10828931);Sep/Oct2016, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p11
An interview with Mark Noll, former Francis A. McAnaney Professor of History at the University of Notre Dame, is presented. Topics discussed include his interest in history, the teachers that had the greatest influence on his life such as Arthur Holmes, Clyde Kilby and Frank Bellinger, and the...
- WORD workout. // Scholastic News -- Edition 5/6;10/9/2006, Vol. 75 Issue 5, p8
A multiple-choice quiz on vocabulary is presented.
- TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE. // Infantry;Aug-Dec2009, Vol. 98 Issue 4, p52
A quiz about the ancient Roman army is presented.
- VOCABULARY QUIZ. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;2/6/2006, Vol. 68 Issue 15, p8
A multiple-choice quiz concerning vocabulary words is presented.