TITLE

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT‖A Speciality Lens Lab

AUTHOR(S)
Walach, Michael
PUB. DATE
November 2010
SOURCE
LabTalk;Nov/Dec2010, Vol. 38 Issue 23G, p40
SOURCE TYPE
Trade Publication
DOC. TYPE
Interview
ABSTRACT
An interview with specialty lens laboratory (lab) president Michael Walach is presented. When asked on the difference between a wholesale and a specialty lens lab, he says that wholesale labs can produce 99 percent of lens prescriptions, while specialty labs handle the remaining 1 percent. Walach states that a wholesale lab typically consumes much time in an unusual job and may fall short of an optimum solution, but can choose to outsource it to a specialty lab. He notes that their gainful jobs include high minus power and high plus power lenses.
ACCESSION #
55786091

 

Related Articles

  • BIZARRE FRAMES. Zito, Paul // LabTalk;Mar/Apr2008, Vol. 36 Issue 159, p46 

    The article describes a procedure that optical laboratories can adopt to determine that a particular prescription lens is compatible with a particular frame, especially with the growing number of bizarre frames on the market. Instead of using expensive lenses, laboratories can use a pair of...

  • Edging's Evolution from Art to Science. Karp, Andrew // 20/20;Jan2007, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p91 

    The author discusses the advances in technology in the optical industry. He observes the changes in the process of cutting lenses through the use of pattern board which is now replaced by pattern making technology. The author agues that the utilization of patternless-edging systems have already...

  • Transitions Academy.  // LabTalk;Mar/Apr2008, Vol. 36 Issue 159, p40 

    Several images from the Transitions Academy event for optical laboratories and lens manufacturers are presented.

  • Plain Talk on Lens Coatings. Lamparelli, Karlen // Review of Optometry;6/15/2001, Vol. 138 Issue 6, p61 

    Reports on the categories and purposes of ophthalmic lens coatings available in the United States as of June 15, 2001. Ultraviolet; Scratch-resistant; Anti-reflective; Multicoatings; Photochromics.

  • New Progressives For Today's Aggressives. Murphy, John // Review of Optometry;6/15/2001, Vol. 138 Issue 6, p67 

    Highlights trends in progressive lens designs in the United States as of June 15, 2001. Requirements of Rodenstock for its Impression ILT lenses; Assurance of clear vision with no distortion with the use of the Gradal Individual lenses; Casting of Essilor's Varilux DRX lenses to prescription.

  • Self-Assessment Examination.  // 20/20;Jan2009, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p78 

    A quiz related to multifocal lenses in presented.

  • EDITOR'S LETTER. Walker, Christie // LabTalk;Mar/Apr2008, Vol. 36 Issue 159, p4 

    The article discusses reports about digital surfacing within the March 2008 issue of "LabTalk," including one on digital surfacing equipment and another on direct surfaced lenses and traditionally surfaced lenses.

  • Robertson Optical's CozÄ“ Compensated Lenses Bring Personalization to Patients.  // Vision Monday;12/17/2012, Vol. 26 Issue 14, p48 

    The article reports that Robertson Optical Laboratories has expanded its Coze line of lenses with the addition of the ADL and Wrap designs, which tailor the patient's frame and prescription.

  • A Parade of PALs The Race to Fit the Lens To the Presbyope. Kirkner, Rich // Review of Optometry;12/15/2002, Vol. 139 Issue 12, p29 

    Features lens-design methods displayed and discussed at the Optical Laboratories Association meeting in the U.S. Optical properties used in the Kodak Precise Progressive lens; Integrated transmittance control technology incorporated in ECP and CD lenses of Hoya Vision Care; Retina forward...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics