A Frenchman Looks at China
- Unfinished democracy. Engelbrekt, Kjell // Problems of Post-Communism;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p3
Presents an overview of the political transformation in the Balkans resulting from the decreased influence of Communism in Southeastern Europe. Ascent of liberal democracy through elections; Consolidation and acceptance by members of the political establishment; Growth of institutions necessary...
- The Communitarian Journey. Selznick, Philip // Quadrant Magazine;Jan/Feb99, Vol. 43 Issue 1/2, p19
Focuses on the transcription of the third Richard Krygier Memorial Lecture about communism delivered by Professor Philip Selznick in University of California. Basic challenges of political morality; Comparison between democracy and communism.
- The View from My Family Tree: Reflections on Communism and Democracy in Slovakia. Smetana, Laura // Inquiry (University of New Hampshire);Spring2007, p78
The article discusses the author's experience of her visit to Slovakia to research on the effects of the transition from communism to democracy and capitalism.
- Communists for democracy. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;3/4/96, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p17
Relates the pro-democracy views of James Heartfield in the February 1996 issue of `Living Marxism.' Assertion that he would rather take his chances with the masses than rely on the experts; Taking issue with the view that issues are better decided by a wise minority (such as judges) than by a...
- The Articulation and Institutionalization of Democracy in Poland. Cirtautas, Arista Maria; Mokrzycki, Edmund // Social Research;Winter93, Vol. 60 Issue 4, p788
This article focuses on the institutionalization of democracy in Poland. The successful history of democratic institutions in the United States and Western Europe and the dramatic collapse of communism as the major alternative to these institutions have left everyone somewhat unprepared for the...
- Beyond the Transitology--Area Studies Debate. Saxonberg, Steven; Linde, Jonas // Problems of Post-Communism;May/Jun2003, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p3
Discusses problem of post-communism in Soviet Union and Europe. Impact of collapse of communism in Europe and Soviet Union on democratic country; Democratization process in Latin America; Comparativist approach to the post-communist transformation.
- POKOMUNIZMAS PO DVIDEÅ IMT METÅ²: Å IAURÄ–S EUROPOS VALSTYBIÅ², PIETÅ² EUROPOS VALSTYBIÅ² IR VIDURIO IR RYTÅ² EUROPOS VALSTYBIÅ² DEMOKRATIJOS RODIKLIÅ² PALYGINIMAS. Spurga, Saulius // Politologija;2011, Issue 64, p146
It is a common perception that 20 years after the fall of communism, the countries of Central and Eastern Europe (CCEE), even though they have joined the EU, belong to the group of post-communist countries. This article analyses whether a clear distinction in the quality of democracy between the...
- COMMUNISM'S COLLAPSE: A WORLD-SYSTEM EXPLANATION. Bergesen, Albert // Journal of Political & Military Sociology;Summer92, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p133
A distinctly world-systemtic theory of Communism's collapse is proposed. The key observation is that in the 1980s both Latin America and Eastern Europe abandoned authoritarian military and one party regimes, making this zone more unstable than either the core or periphery. The 1980s are a period...
- Sisyphus After the Putsch. Gitlin, Todd // Tikkun;Nov/Dec91, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p17
Focuses on the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe. Significance of the failed three-day putsch; Revolt against arbitrary power; Rise of popular democratic action against terror; Legacies of the French revolution; Rise of democratic action against the legacy of the Jacobin party; Fusion of...