- The new supermarket sweepstakes. // U.S. News & World Report;8/11/86, Vol. 101 Issue 6, p38
It's sweepstakes time at your local supermarket as investors go shopping. And, it's dog-eat-dog at the checkout stand as chains do battle for customers dollars. INSET: the top twelve..
- The supermarket as selling machine. // Consumer Reports;Sep93, Vol. 58 Issue 9, Survival Guide to the... p560
Discusses the ways that supermarkets use to influence consumers' buying decisions. Store brands; Preferred-shopper clubs; Advertising and marketing; Coupons; Layout and design; Product placement; Recommendations for the shopper. INSETS: Can you trust the scanner?;Big savings for buying in bulk..
- Supermarkets: Still grappling for an edge. Roldan, Dina // Chain Store Age Executive with Shopping Center Age;Aug93, Vol. 69 Issue 8, The State of the Industry p35A
Reports on the several approaches adopted by supermarkets to maintain customer loyalty and market share. Lack of growth in the industry; Low-price competitive threat of the supercenter format; Loyalty and frequency programs; Proprietary shopping behavior; Branded fast foods; One-stop shopping...
- Super-duper supermarkets. Schwartz, J.; Crown, J. // Newsweek;6/27/1988, Vol. 111 Issue 26, p40
Across the country, supermarkets are boosting their offerings of food that's ready to eat or quickly microwaveable. The trend is to get back some of the food dollars lost to restaurants and fast-food chains. Most supermarket action now is at the deli, where customers can buy ready-made food,...
- Supermarkets checking out beauty sales. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;7/23/1993, Vol. 166 Issue 16, p1
Reports on the growing success of mixing cosmetics shopping and grocery shopping. Convenience of one-stop shopping; Cosmetics category as garnering more attention because it adds to the overall ambiance of the store; Chains of supermarkets opening stores with cosmetics departments.
- Fresh Family Foods makes food desert bloom. DeArment, Alaric // Drug Store News;9/13/2010, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p3
The article announces the opening of Fresh Family Foods, a boutique-style supermarket in Chicago, Illinois, which targets the African- American community created with the cooperation of Quentin Love company and activist LaDonna Redmond.
- 'Promotions fuel obesity and waste'. Stones, Mike // Food Manufacture;Dec2013, Vol. 88 Issue 12, p8
The article reports that supermarket promotions tempt British shoppers to buy more food than needed, according to Tesco technical director Tim Smith.
- Food publications narrow their focus. Collins, Scott // Advertising Age's Business Marketing;May94, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p26
Reports on trends in trade magazines for supermarkets in the United States. Specialization in goods and services; Need for consolidation; Trends in advertising sales.
- Supermarkets battle it out for 'holiday' custom. Owen, Ed // Marketing (00253650);4/20/2011, p7
The article reports on the supermarkets' marketing activities in accordance to the consecutive weekends in Great Britain several retailers' promotions including Morrisons's television advertisment, Sainsbury's royal wedding-themed foods, and Asda's classic picnic and barbeque items.