Q&A with Brian Sturgeon
- Fresh Summit 2009 Workshops. // SN: Supermarket News;9/14/2009, Vol. 57 Issue 37, p40
A calendar of events for the Fresh Summit 2009 Workshops in the U.S. in October 2009 is presented which include a workshop entitled "Food Safety Innovations: What's New and What Does It Really Mean," "Locally Grown Produce & Profits: How They Go Hand in Hand," and "Harness the Power of Social...
- Keep It Clean. Gordon, Rosemary // American Vegetable Grower;May2005, Vol. 53 Issue 5, p4
The article discusses the importance of keeping farm produce clean and free from contamination. Kind of tomatoes suspected to be the cause of Salmonella outbreaks in the U.S. and Canada; Way to minimize having bacterial contamination at vegetable farms; Electronic information resources on food...
- Pathogen studies could safen produce. // Western Farm Press;4/1/2006, Vol. 28 Issue 10, p35
The article reports on the development of new technologies to remove or inactivate pathogens on both fresh and minimally processed produce by the ARS Easter Regional Research Center, Food Safety Intervention Technologies Research Unit in California. Conventional washing methods to remove...
- Produce Industry Improving Traceability. Karolefski, John // Food Logistics;Apr2008, Issue 103, p12
The article discusses the move of the U.S. produce industry in enhancing their food safety efforts. The industry has taken concrete steps to maintain consumer trust and prevent future incidents from occurring such as efforts to improve traceability and conduct recalls. The Produce Marketing...
- You asked for it. Hunter, Beatrice Trum // Consumers' Research Magazine;Nov95, Vol. 78 Issue 11, p9
Presents question and answer information on food topics. Freezing time for beef and pork; Cooking time for brown rice and white rice; Fortifying fruit juice products with various nutrients; Removing fat from home made gravy.
- Are You Eating Germs? Hugel, Bob // Scholastic Choices;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p20
Presents a quiz on food safety. Number of persons who died in the United States each year from food-borne illnesses; How to protect one's self from food-borne illnesses; Identification of some of the diseases caused by poor food handling. INSETS: From the farm to your table;Food Fight.
- Safety From Farm to Fork. Zalan, Kira // U.S. News Digital Weekly;10/7/2011, Vol. 3 Issue 40, p10
The article presents questions and answers related to food safety in the U.S. including foods that are vulnerable to contamination, causes of food supply contamination, and the function of the 2011 Food Safety Modernization Act.
- Of SOPs and Sopping Wet Roofs. // Food Processing (00156523);Nov2009, Vol. 70 Issue 11, p51
The article presents questions and answers related to food processing plants including the standard operating procedure (SOP) for the maintenance and sanitation of a food processing facility and the potential risks in food safety that should be considered during roof construction.
- Agrifood Grades and Standards in the Extended Mercosur: Their Role in the Changing Agrifood System. // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Nov2000, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p1170
Examines the role of agricultural food quality and safety (G&S) standards in the agricultural food system in the Mercosur region which includes Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. Advantages and drawbacks of the establishment of G&S on an agricultural food system; Policy and market...