At Your Discretion
- Volunteer firefighter responding to a fire is entitled to immunity. // Fire Engineering;Oct97, Vol. 150 Issue 10, p26
Presents a case where a fire fighter was granted immunity when he was sued by the driver of a car who he accidentally hit. When a governmental employee can have immunity under a state law; Why the firefighter was not entitled to immunity according to the driver; Reason why the fire fighter was...
- U.K. ruling defines fire brigade liability. Aldred, Carolyn // Business Insurance;04/07/97, Vol. 31 Issue 14, p26
Reports that the United Kingdom Court of Appeal has ruled that firefighters can be sued for negligence if they take action which worsens a situation while fighting a fire. Reference to other rulings made by judges of the Appeal Court in relation to firefighters; Details on three court case...
- House tackles fire service bill. Preston, Mark // American City & County;Jul99, Vol. 114 Issue 8, p12
Discusses the United States local governments' budget for fire departments. Importance of firefighters; Details on the Firefighter Investment and Response Enhancement Act; Statistics on firefighter casualties and injuries.
- The `80/20' issue: An update. Dittmar, Mary Jane // Fire Engineering;Jul95, Vol. 148 Issue 7, p47
Focuses on the legal status of fire fighters in the United States in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1991. Provisions of the act; Cases illustrating conflicts surrounding the issue; Need to modernize the FLSA to adjust to additional duties performed by firemen. INSET:...
- Legal limbo, part 3: Volunteer coverage under the federal Occupational Safety and Health Act. Bentivoglio, John T. // Fire Engineering;Jul96, Vol. 149 Issue 7, p12
Part III. Discusses standards set under the Occupational Safety and Health Act concerning fire service. Benefits of compliance; Conditions imposed on state-plan jurisdictions; Classification of volunteer firefighter as employee. INSET: States operating non-OSHA-approved programs for public...
- NVFC reunites FLSA coalition. // Fire Engineering;Dec96, Vol. 149 Issue 12, p27
Reports on the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coalition's call for the revision of the FLSA stipulation that paid firefighters cannot volunteer in the same community that pays them. Implications on staffing; Initiatives under consideration.
- Firefighters: Quinn stalling Bill 061. WILLIAMS, JASMIN // New York Amsterdam News;12/16/2010, Vol. 101 Issue 51, p3
The article reports on the move of New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn to stall the progress of Firefighter's Bill 061 which seeks to award bonus points to the entrance examinations of graduates from New York City high schools.
- Chicago firefighter bias case: $30 million settlement on table. // HR Specialist: Illinois Employment Law;Aug2011, Vol. 5 Issue 8, p5
The article reports on the bias case of firefighter promotion in Chicago, Illinois which being ruled for 30 million settlement.
- Chicago firefighters' case burns on--focus still on allegedly biased promotion tests. // HR Specialist: Illinois Employment Law;Jul2011, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p3
The article discusses the litigation over the promotion tests for the firefighters of Chicago, Illinois.