HR Finds New Ways to Cut Retiree Health-Care Costs
- FIRST MEASURE, THEN MANAGE. Aley, James // Fortune;4/18/1994, Vol. 129 Issue 8, p28
States that in the three years since the Financial Accounting Standards Board enacted FAS 106, health care inflation has fallen from 9.6% to 4.9%. FASB is now proposing that companies recognize the cost of future stock option grants to their executives.
- Doc network downsizing attempts to cut costs. Ceniceros, Roberto // Business Insurance;12/2/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 48, p3
Discusses the philosophy behind the efforts of employers to contain their health care costs by contracting with smaller networks composed of lower-cost medical providers providing higher-quality care. Reversal in the trend of increasing provider accessibility to meet clients' demand;...
- PacifiCare explains cost hikes to Henderson seniors as CEO resigns. King, Pat // Las Vegas Business Press;10/30/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 43, p7
Focuses on the managed care company, PacifiCare's explanation on the rising costs of health care to seniors at the Henderson Convention Center in Nevada. Impact of the company's third-quarter profit warning on its stock market price; Resignation of chief executive officer Robert O'Leary; Cap on...
- PacifiCare Increases Medicare Benefits, Cuts Payments. // Orange County Business Journal;2/9/2004, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p10
Secure Horizons, the Medicare arm of Cypress, California-based PacifiCare Health Systems Inc., says that for its members healthcare will cost less in 2004, thanks to a long-sought federal reimbursement hike. PacifiCare said that it planned to enhance benefits and cut out-of-pocket costs for...
- Managed profits. Sloane, Todd // Modern Healthcare;8/11/2003, Vol. 33 Issue 32, p26
Discusses the increase in the profits of several health plans in the U.S. Percentage increase in the second-quarter profits of PacifiCare Health Systems in 2003; Rise in membership and premiums of Coventry Health Care; Impact of the increase on healthcare cost trends. INSET: OTHER VOICES.
- PacifiCare Chief Talks of 'Gathering Storm' Reed, Vita // Orange County Business Journal;6/21/2004, Vol. 27 Issue 25, p1
Looks into the business operations of PacifiCare Health Systems Inc. in Cypress, California. Status of the stock performance of the company; Statement of Howard Phanstiel, chief executive of the company, regarding the health care industry; Issue of the rising health care costs in the industry.
- A new standard …. Evans, Melanie // Modern Healthcare;4/26/2010, Vol. 40 Issue 17, p8
The article discusses the proposition of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) of new standards on reporting free and discounted care for low-income patients for hospitals and health system financial statements. Charity care would be measured using direct and indirect costs. Costs,...
- What's ahead in compensation and benefits. Ellig, Bruce R. // Management Review;Aug83, Vol. 72 Issue 8, p56
Provides an outlook on compensation and benefits practices and procedures in the U.S. Consequences of increase health care and pension costs; Impact of income tax increases on flexible compensation programs; Return to COLA-type adjustments; Demand for pay and price controls; Creation of more...
- Managed care company earnings still strong. Greenwald, Judy // Business Insurance;5/19/2003, Vol. 37 Issue 20, p4
The article focuses on health care rate increases in the U.S. as of May 19, 2003. The increases continued to affect employers and bring profits to most managed care companies in the first quarter of 2003. There is no consensus among industry analysts on why costs were down or whether the...