Ellen and Michael Kaplan on Chance, Odds, Monte Carlo, and the Monty Hall Problem
- Chances Are...: Adventures in Probability. // Publishers Weekly;2/20/2006, Vol. 253 Issue 8, p153
The article reviews the book "Chances Are: Adventures in Probability," by Michael Kaplan and Ellen Kaplan.
- Chances Are: Adventures in Probability. Taylor, Gilbert // Booklist;3/1/2006, Vol. 102 Issue 13, p52
Reviews the book â€œChances Are: Adventures in Probability,â€ by Michael Kaplan, and Ellen Kaplan.
- Bedside Reading. Aronson, Marc // School Library Journal;Feb2008, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p28
The article reviews the books "The Pursuit of Glory: Europe 1648-1815," by Tim Blanning and "Chances Are...:Adventures in Probability," by Michael Kaplan and Ellen Kaplan.
- mode. // International Dictionary of Finance, 4th Edition;2003, p178
A definition of the term "mode" is presented. It refers to average.
- Entropy-Based Maximally Stable Extremal Regions for Robust Feature Detection. Huiwen Cai; Xiaoyan Wang; Ming Xia; Yangsheng Wang // Mathematical Problems in Engineering;2012, Vol. 2012, Special section p1
Maximally stable extremal regions (MSER) is a state-of-the-art method in local feature detection. However, this method is sensitive to blurring because, in blurred images, the intensity values in region boundary will vary more slowly, and this will undermine the stability criterion that the...
- The Maximum Error Probability Criterion, Random Encoder, and Feedback, in Multiple Input Channels. Ning Cai // Entropy;Mar2014, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p1211
For a multiple input channel, one may define different capacity regions, according to the criterions of error, types of codes, and presence of feedback. In this paper, we aim to draw a complete picture of relations among these different capacity regions. To this end, we first prove that the...
- Detection of Multiple Change Points from Clustering Individual Observations. Kittlitz, Rudy // Journal of Quality Technology;Jul2003, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p237
Provides some thoughts on the detection of multiple change points from clustering individual observations. Probability plot of the data; Standard deviations of the groups; Use of the Mean Squared Successive Difference technique.
- Author's Reply. Sullivan, Joe // Journal of Quality Technology;Jul2003, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p238
Presents a reply to comments on an article about the detection of multiple change points from clustering individual observations. Application of standard deviation analysis tools; Characteristics of the proposed method; Ineffectiveness of the Mean Squared Successive Difference.
- Joint Optimization of Mean and Standard Deviation Using Response Surface Methods. Koksoy, Onur; Doganaksoy, Necip // Journal of Quality Technology;Jul2003, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p239
Focuses on the joint optimization of mean and standard deviation. Use of response surface methods; Formulation of the dual response problem; Use of the Nondifferentiable Interactive Multiobjective BUndle-based Optimization System algorithm; Use of the Solver in the Excel spreadsheet to obtain...