A VIEW FROM THE FRONT LINES
- CABLE/TELCO BATTLEGROUND SHIFTING. Wilson, Carol // Telephony;4/11/2005, Vol. 246 Issue 7, p20
The article reports that the U.S. cable companies have the initial advantage over telephone companies as each tries to invade the other's turf, according to projections by The Convergence Consulting Group. According to its projections, it will take telcos until 2009 to reach more than 6 million...
- LEC wireless CATV gets the go ahead. Mason, Charles F. // Telephony;9/6/93, Vol. 225 Issue 10, p9
Reports on the granting of permission by the Federal Communications Commission to local exchange carriers to offer wireless cable television (CATV) services within their territories. Offer of local multipoint distribution service by CellularVision; Bell Atlantic's intention to offer wireless...
- Telephone companies keeping video in play. Dawson, Fred // Inter@ctive Week;07/21/97, Vol. 4 Issue 24, pI-10
Editorial. Comments on the efforts of telephone companies to get into the cable business. Experiments of telephone companies with building cable television (TV) networks; Statement from Brian Blevins, spokesman for GTE Corporation.
- Cable's HSD Market Share Hit 57%. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;12/23/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 51, p14
Reports on the control of cable operators on the majority of high speed data market in the U.S. as of June 30, 2002 according to data by Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Plans of FCC to draft broadband policies in favor of cable operators and phone companies; Growth rate of cable...
- Give people what they want. // Electronic Media;12/30/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 51, p7
Editorial. Focuses on plans of Washington lobbyists to compel cable operators into offering subscriber-selected customer channel packages. Elimination of the burden of costly programming services from consumers who do not want them; Threats posed to upcoming channels from the decision.
- SBVS pleased with Texas test. Tedesco, Richard // Broadcasting & Cable;2/19/96, Vol. 126 Issue 8, p64
Reports that Southwestern Bell Video Services is confident about seguing into commercial deployment in early 1997. Comments from Steven Dimmitt, president and chief executive officer of the company; Prices of its basic cable package; SBVS parent SBC Communications.
- Have the telco TV stars aligned? Baumgartner, Jeff // CED;Dec2005, Vol. 31 Issue 13, p48
The article reports on the telephone industry. The industry is facing competitive threats to their bread-and-butter voice business. In response, the industry have taken some major steps in the last couple of years when it comes to adding its service bundles. It is believed that cable operators...
- All Wired Up In Wisconsin. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;10/25/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 43, p34
Deals with the developments in the telecommunication sector in Madison, Wisconsin in 2004. Factors that contributed to the developments; Opportunities available for cable industries companies including digital cable operator Charter; Advantages of Charter over other cable operators in the city;...
- Who will be the SME business services' darling? Skipwith, Don // CED;Mar2003, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p52
Compares telecommunication services offered by cable television multiple systems operators (MSO) and telephone companies to small to medium enterprises (SME) in the U.S. Solutions for business access services; Broadband communications solutions; Growth opportunities for cable MSO and telephone...