Unity & Despair
- Lessons From Disaster Veterans. Victims Of Katrina Share What They Learned. // Credit Union Journal;8/21/2006, Vol. 10 Issue 33, p28
The article is an excerpt from Credit Union Journal following Hurricane Katrina in which Credit Unions shared their mutual experience of the hurricane and the need to prepare themselves fron any such incidents in the future.
- LESSONS LEARNED FROM KATRINA. LAMBERT, RICHARD // Warrior Citizen;2013, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p19
The article discusses disaster preparedness lessons learned by U.S. federal and local governments and agencies from the 2005 devastation brought by Hurricane Katrina.
- Who Drowned The Big Easy? What You Haven't Been Told. Plasat, Greg // Yes!;Summer2007, Issue 42, p53
The article offers the author's views on the true cause for the massive crisis when Hurricane Katrina hit in New Orleans which cites a failed emergency evacuation plan combined with busted levees.
- Operation Compassion. ROGERS, MARK // Travel Agent;9/19/2005, Vol. 322 Issue 9, p90
Presents the author's experiences when he volunteered to help evacuated victims of Hurricane Katrina in Houston, Texas, in 2005. Views of the author on voluntarism and helping the needy; Analysis of pertinent topics and relevant issues; Implications for voluntarism and disaster management.
- New Mexico Helps Organize Katrina Relief Efforts. McCracken, Betina // Policy & Practice (19426828);Dec2005, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p17
The article discusses the efforts of New Mexico to help organize relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf Coast area. The state Children, Youth and Family Department accepted donations to be given to hurricane victims. The Human Services Department established a toll-free line...
- Oschner Clinic Exec VP testifies about Katrina communications. // AHA News;2/20/2006, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p2
Reports on the effort of the Orchsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans, Lousiana to implement its emergency preparedness plan for Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Problems in communication systems experienced by Orchsner; Comments from Ochsner executive vice president William Pinsky on the emergency...
- Carnival season begins in New Orleans. Wockner, Rex // Bay Windows;2/16/2006, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p16
The article reports on the launch of the Krewe du Vieux parade to mark the beginning of the carnival season in New Orleans, Louisiana on February 11, 2006. More than half of the parade participants criticized the city, state and federal officials and agencies for their perceived mishandling of...
- Learning from Katrina. Lacter, Mark // Orange County Business Journal;9/26/2005, Vol. 28 Issue 39, p87
Discusses the reasons why New Orleans, Louisiana, was wiped out by Hurricane Katrina. Failure of the bureaucrats to upgrade the city's system of levees and canals; Incompetence of the Federal Emergency Management Agency due to its reduced budget; Insufficiency of the efforts of the U.S. Congress...
- How Did This Happen? Ripley, Amanda; Bennett, Brian; Thomas, Cathy Booth; Calabresi, Massimo; Donnelly, Sally; Thompson, Mark; Tumulty, Karen; Waller, Douglas; Zagorin, Adam; Chu, Jeff; DeQuine, Jeanne; Klarreich, Kathie // Time International (South Pacific Edition);9/12/2005, Issue 36, p30
The article focuses on issues related to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in the U.S. Deconstructing Hurricane Katrina will take years. But it is already clear that the blame can be well distributed, from the White House to emergency-management officials at federal, state and local...