MINI-INTERVIEW: Exploring new markets
- HFM honors 2002 winners of Spotlight on Innovation. // Nation's Restaurant News;9/23/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 38, p18
Reports the awards received by the Foodservice directors from hospitals in Chicago, Toronto and Columbus, Ohio. Presentation of award from the National Society for Healthcare Foodservice Management; List of awardees; Provisions of the awards during the HFM's annual conference.
- The wine seller. Scarpa, James // Restaurant Business;3/1/96, Vol. 95 Issue 4, p170
Focuses on the philosophy of Mary Ross, principal of Chicago, Illinois-based Mary Ross & Associates, on the importance of teaching the right mental attitude to restaurant wine servers. Ross' background in the wine-serving industry; Value of a well-trained service staff to a profitable and smooth...
- Turning point. Adams, Michael // Restaurant Business;04/01/97, Vol. 96 Issue 7, p37
Profiles several food service employees in the United States. Includes Millie Miner, waitress of International House of Pancakes in North Palm Beach, Florida; Van Eure, owner of Angus Barn in Raleigh, North Carolina; Julie Lau, general manager of Suzie's in New York City; Paul Murphy, chef of...
- Love 'em or lose 'em. Klara, Robert // Restaurant Business;05/01/97, Vol. 96 Issue 9, p42
Focuses on the results of a study by the Foodservice Research Forum on the conditions and attitudes of food service employees. Reason for working in food service; Top ten perceived employment needs; Top ten unmeet needs by the employees; Reasons for leaving the food service industry; Career...
- Divided We Stand. Romeo, Peter // Restaurant Business;9/1/2001, Vol. 100 Issue 17, p4
Editorial. Comments on the need of restaurants to improve the industry image in the United States. Views of the public regarding waitressing and bartending; Impact of the equity sharing programs of big casual chains on the restaurant industry; Comparison between the volume sales of...
- Which of the following can't be found in... Szegedy-Maszale, M. // Washington Monthly;May88, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p30
Fancy restaurants use waiters, not waitresses, a fact so much part of our culture that it is not even noticed. Reasons given by restaurateurs for this lack are very unsatisfying. Feminists should respond.
- The changing role of the foodservice director. // Food Management;Jan1998, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p40
Focuses on the changes affecting the duties and responsibilities of food service directors in the United States. Implications of the changes on the traditional functions of directors; Features of the expansion of the roles of directors; Changes affecting school food service directors.
- AmeriServe names winners of its annual All-Star Awards. // Nation's Restaurant News;04/13/98, Vol. 32 Issue 15, p62
Presents the list of the 1997 All-Star Awards for outstanding food service employees disclosed by AmeriServe in Dallas, Texas. Includes Nelson Gale; Stephanie Hart; Jim Stickle.
- State helps fill restaurants' appetites for staff. Lane, Amy // Crain's Small Business -- Southeast Michigan Edition;May97, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p5
Reports that state and restaurant-industry officials have launched the `Cooking with MESA' campaign to provide workers with jobs at almost every Michigan eatery. Combatting the labor crunch; Public perception of the restaurant industry; Sponsors of the program.