Aging baby boomers may mean more lawsuits
- Age-discrimination bills pass. // Business Insurance;05/11/98, Vol. 32 Issue 19, p2
States that two bills that would negate court rulings that help employers and legally replace higher-paid employees with younger, lower paid workers has been approved by state lawmakers in May, 1997. Reference to the California Supreme Court.
- Supreme Court rules on ADEA liability. // Personnel Journal;Jun93, Vol. 72 Issue 6, p117
Reports on the Supreme Court's refusal to tighten the instances in which an employer could be liable for double damages under the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). Comment by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor on the liability of employers for double damages if they either knew or...
- Age discrimination law widened. // American Nurseryman;06/01/96, Vol. 183 Issue 11, p6
Highlights the age discrimination law among workers in the United States.
- OK to suggest retiring in lieu of getting fired: It's not age discrimination. // HR Specialist: New Jersey Employment Law;Feb2010, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p3
The article presents a court case Smith v. Allentown that demonstrates the issue concerning age discrimination in New Jersey.
- California may clarify murky age-bias law. Wood, Daniel B. // Christian Science Monitor;3/4/98, Vol. 90 Issue 67, p3
Focuses on legislation pending in California in March of 1998 which would clarify the state's age discrimination laws. The issue of companies firing older workers in favor of younger, lower salaried workers; Comments from Laurie McCann, lawyer for the American Association of Retired Persons;...
- Labour ducks pledge to pass ageism law. Welch, Jilly // People Management;4/17/1997, Vol. 3 Issue 8, p7
Focuses on backing of Labour Party from its former promise to introduce legislation banning age discrimination. Comment of Richard Worsley of the Carnegie Third Age Programme on failure of the Labour Party to fulfill its promise; Promise of the Age Concern manifesto; Remark of Steve Halford,...
- Victimized by age. // NEA Today;Apr93, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p30
Reports on the presence of age discrimination in employment in the school system and the legislative measures taken to protect older workers. Age Discrimination in Employment ACT (ADEA); Abolition of a mandatory retirement for all but a few specific job categories; Prohibiting employers from...
- How old was your replacement? // U.S. News & World Report;4/15/96, Vol. 120 Issue 15, p82
Reports on a 1996 Supreme Court ruling that age discrimination can occur even when a worker of 40 or over is replaced by another worker of 40 or over. Brief details of lower-court decision which was overturned; Tips for workers considering filing an age discrimination claim with the federal...
- Age Discrimination Act. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p59
An encyclopedia entry for the Age Discrimination Act passed in the U.S. is presented.