- News in Brief. // Fire Engineering;Mar2002, Vol. 155 Issue 3, p56
Reports developments among fire departments in the U.S. Recognition of the late Ray Downey, deputy chief of the Fire Department of New York with the Fire Engineering Courage and Valor Foundation award; Death of firefighter Anthony Manno in Maryland; Release of the 2001 preliminary firefighter...
- Out of sight shouldn't be out of chief's mind. McCormack, Jim // Fire Chief;Apr2003, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p20
Discusses factors to be considered by a fire chief when training firefighters. Support of firefighters through training; Development of a solid fire department training program; Responsibility of the fire chief to the members of the fire department and their families.
- Darwin and the volunteer fire service. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/15/2013, p1
The article presents information on volunteer fire chiefs in the U.S. It states that, though, volunteer fire chiefs are not paid for their services, but their duties are no less than the fire chiefs who receive compensation. However, volunteer fire chiefs have to spend limited time period in...
- Staffing Tops Chiefs' Worries. // Fire Chief;Feb2006, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p13
The article reports on the finding by the International Association of Fire Chiefs that the three major challenges faced by fire departments in the United States are staffing, funding and increased demands for service. Staffing is also the top challenge faced by volunteer departments. Included...
- Going Global. // Fire Chief;Sep2004, Vol. 48 Issue 9, p96
Interviews Bill Peterson, fire chief of the Plano, Texas, Fire Department and president of the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE) based in Great Britain. History of the U.S. branch of the IFE; International membership of the IFE; Goals as president of the IFE.
- DO YOU LIVE IN "ANYTOWN"? Flatley, Christopher // Fire Engineering;Jan2004, Vol. 157 Issue 1, p12
Focuses on issues concerning fire department management. Need for fire chiefs to be knowledgeable and responsible; Risks associated with poor managers and management; Description of a good fire department management style; Advantages of having extensive training, experience, and confidence;...
- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- Blazin' Fire Board. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p9
The article presents the views of several fire chiefs in Minnesota on the inclusion of women in the fire service. Bill Mund of the Saint Cloud Fire Department recommends several steps in successfully integrating women in the fire department, including planning for the change brought on by the...
- 2009 Certification Board Update. Schliek, David // Minnesota Fire Chief;2009 Directory, p36
The article offers an update on the Certification Board of the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association (MSFCA) as of 2009. Despite an increase in membership, the board is still seeking participation from the southern portion of Minnesota. The first online written certification test was hosted by...