Congress, coalitions and more in Washington
- Keeping cool under fire. Thompson, Terri // Boys' Life;Jan1993, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p25
Describes the job of a firefighter who must not only fight fires but also save lives. Type of incidents firefighters deal with; Educational requirements and special courses; Type of tests that must be passed to become a firefighter.
- Putting out the fires. // Current Events;3/22/91, Vol. 90 Issue 23, p2
Explains how the experts fight oil-well fires.
- Fire over Kuwait. Kelly, J.M. // Popular Science;Sep91, Vol. 237 Issue 3, p62
Reports that as six million barrels of oil a day go up in smoke in the Kuwaiti desert, `hellfighters' from Texas are doing battle with 1,500 degree F. heat in the blaze of the century. Offers an eyewitness account of how they are snuffing out the oil well fires with water, liquid nitrogen and...
- Tucson, Ariz. // American City & County;Jul93, Vol. 108 Issue 8, p27
Reports about the development of an efficient method of testing fire hydrants in Tucson, Arizona. Fire department's two-part testing procedure; Gallons of water saved annually; Area flow test.
- More lifelong lessons. Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Jan1996, Vol. 149 Issue 1, p156
Presents a detailed description of a fire rescue involving an eight year-old girl. How the girl was rescued.
- Company association news. // Fire Engineering;Mar1996, Vol. 149 Issue 3, p193
Reports on developments related to fire extinction business. Includes National Foam's foam training program; Stanley Hydraulic Tools' use of a Field Training and Support Vehicle for individuals and organizations involved in urban search and rescue; Snap-Tite Hose Inc.'s purchase of assets of...
- High-rise firefighting strategies. Dunn, Vincent // Fire Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 149 Issue 8, p32
Presents five firefighting strategies in high-rise building fires. Frontal attack; Flanking attack; Defensive attack; Non-attack; Outside attack.
- Flashover survival strategy. Knapp, Jerry; Delisio, Christian // Fire Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 149 Issue 8, p81
Details the development of a comprehensive flashover survival strategy for firefighters. Definition of flashovers; Role of flammable gases; Importance of understanding rapid fire development; Steam tactics. INSET: 10 flashover survival tactics..
- More on operations on the floor above the fire floor. Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 149 Issue 8, p158
Offers advice on fire extinction. Focus on operations on the floor above the fire floor; Application of the to/from-from/to principle; Search-pattern tactics on the floor above the fire and on the fire floor itself.