- CURRENT COMMENT. // America;9/3/1955, Vol. 93 Issue 23, p521
This section offers several news briefs as of September 3, 1955. Flash floods hit Connecticut and parts of five other Northeastern States on August 18. Indian Prime Minister Nehru issued a statement on July 28 opposing any mass invasion of the Portuguese colony in Goa, India. The U.S. government...
- And then Came the Floods. Shaw, Michael // BAGnewsNotes;7/ 3/2011, p1
A photograph depicting havoc wreaked by floods in from Montana through Missouri is presented.
- THE FLOOD PERIL IN HUNGARY. Beynon, Erdmann D. // Foreign Affairs;Jul26, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p682
The Hungary of pre-war days had a shape somewhat resembling a soup-plate, a border of hills and high tablelands and a low, flat center. For hundreds of years that center remained in a primitive condition. From all the surrounding hills the rivers poured their waters down into the level plain,...
- Water worlds. Scott, Liz // New Orleans Magazine;May2000, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p14
Recalls the May 3 flood of 1978 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- A STICKY DISASTER. Metcalf, Jennifer // Boys' Quest;Oct/Nov2002, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p2
Provides information on the Great Molasses Flood that struck Boston, Massachusetts on January 15, 1919. INSET: SIDEBAR.
- THE 1927 FLOOD IN TENSAS PARISH AS SEEN BY THE TENSAS GAZETTE. Bush, John // North Louisiana Historical Association Journal;Spring1980, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p1
The article reports on a flood in Tensas Parish, Louisiana, that happened in 1927. In a report by the "Tensas Gazette," the local community war reassured that the conditions were improved because the levees had been strengthened but warned the possibility of catastrophe if the flood water will...
- After the Floods. McGowan, Jo // Commonweal;9/14/2007, Vol. 134 Issue 15, p6
The article focuses on floods that devastated a vast of population in Bihar, India. Floods are an annual event in Bihar, and people in the area are forced to live on the narrow embankments that run parallel to rivers such as the Kosi. The author suggests villagers to settle on the highest ground...
- Hardened Banks, Channelized Streams Climb Ever Upwards after Hilo Flood. Tummons, Patricia // Environment Hawai'i;Jan2002, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the natural disasters that affected Hilo, Hawaii in November 2000. Level of rainfall; Damages caused by floods; Cost of the damages. INSETS: Living Downstream;'Quick, quick, or the waters will stop you'.
- 2011 a Very Expensive Natural Disaster Year. Dymi, Amilda // National Mortgage News;12/19/2011, Vol. 36 Issue 13, p8
The article offers information on the report of CoreLogic that marked an estimated 10.7 billion flood losses in the U.S. and labeled 2011 as an extreme flood year.
- Little Relief Seen from Flood Deaths, Homelessness in India. Marathe, Kaumudi // Business Insurance;08/09/99, Vol. 33 Issue 32, p19
Reports on casualties from the floods that plagued India's central state of Bihar since mid-July 1999. Deaths; Estimated uninsured damage; Homeless persons; Relief and rescue operations.