Week in brief
- Barbie: Her figure isn't everything. La Ferle, Cynthia G. // Christian Science Monitor;12/12/97, Vol. 90 Issue 13, p19
Opinion. Comments on the decision of Mattel Inc. in bowing to pressure to change the proportions of the Barbie doll. The author's experiences with Barbie; Why Barbie's figure is not the goal most girls see as their standard; Barbie as a fashion doll.
- Barbie celebrates birthday by helping charities. // Playthings;May94, Vol. 92 Issue 5, p13
Reports on Barbie doll's celebration of her 35th anniversary on March 9, 1994 by helping out some of Hollywood celebrities' favorite charities. Presentation of a $250,000 check to actress Demi Moore by Mattel Inc. president Jill Bard on behalf of the Charles Drew Head Start Medical Clinic;...
- Mattel's Barbie, Hot Wheels lines just keep on growin' in `95. // Playthings;Feb95, Vol. 93 Issue 2, p174
Presents a company profile of Mattel Incorporated. Beginnings of company; Success of product line featuring Barbie dolls; Launching of new Barbie and Ken doll products. INSET: Barbe salutes eras past..
- FROM SUPER HEROES. // Doll Reader;May2000, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p70
Features Mattel Inc.'s 2000 Barbie dolls collection.
- HOW NIFTY: Barbie AT 50. Fitzgerald, Toni // Doll Reader;Mar/Apr2009, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p32
The article reports on the plan of Mattel Inc., parent company of Barbie doll, to release two special dolls and hold two carpet events to honor Barbie in 2009.
- Valley of the dolls. Lippert, Barbara // Adweek Eastern Edition;2/17/1997, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p42
Criticizes Barbie dolls by Mattel. Unrealistic portrayal of a middle-aged woman; Downside of several Barbie-related merchandise; Effect of the dolls on the children who play with them.
- Barb Gets Real. // Health (Time Inc. Health);May2000, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p26
Reveals that Mattel company plans to modify the image of its Barbie dolls. Reaction to the planned modifications.
- MATFEL. // Doll Reader;Dec2006/Jan2007, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p16
The article presents Mattel Inc.'s Diana von Furstenberg Barbie doll design by Diana von Furstenberg.
- Mad About 'Mad Men'? // Doll Reader;Jun/Jul2010, Vol. 38 Issue 5, p13
A preview of the Mad Men Barbie dolls from Mattel Inc. is presented.
- A doll by any other name. Sommerfeld, Meg // Education Week;2/7/96, Vol. 15 Issue 20, p37
Focuses on Mattel Inc.'s Barbie dolls. Barbie as an American icon; Introduction of the Teacher Barbie; Controversies involving the doll.