Easing the Digital Burden
- Adelstein Could Tip DTV Balance. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;12/9/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 49, p56
Discusses the impact of the tie-breaking vote of U.S. Federal Communications Commission's commissioner Jonathan Adelstein on a policy ruling of FCC related to digital television in the country. Pending issues before the commission; Expected supported of Adelstein for a multiple-channel carriage...
- Digital satellite system TV--What's it all about? Smith, Doug // All Hands;Sep95, Issue 941, p34
Focuses on the features of the digital satellite system television. Brief history of the system; DirecTV's emphasis on traditional cable channels; USSB's concentration on providing movie channels; Kinds of channel offered by the two companies; Limitations of the system; Cost of having a digital...
- The digital TV movement: Can this revolution stall? Marks, Alexandra // Christian Science Monitor;7/9/98, Vol. 90 Issue 157, p3
Looks at digital television broadcasting in the United States in 1998. Conflict concerning the so-called must carry strategy, which will force cable broadcasters to transmit digital signals; Government mandates which are aimed at increasing digital acceptance; Technical issues to be resolved;...
- Sensible about spectrum. // Christian Science Monitor;2/25/97, Vol. 89 Issue 62, p20
Editorial. Discusses the implications of the United States switching from analog broadcasting to digital broadcasting of television. Financial and budgetary stakes when broadcasters go digital; What could reduce the cost of television political advertising.
- DTV: Broadcasting or datacasting? Libin, Louis // Broadcast Engineering;Feb98, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p30
Discusses opportunities for taking advantage of the digital capacity of the digital television (DTV) channel. Potential revenue from datacasting; DTV systems' use of packetized transport technology; Types of equipment to be used in DTV.
- Predicting DTV coverage. Markley, Don // Broadcast Engineering;Feb98, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p62
Describes filing requirements for digital television (DTV) and the ability to predict the DTV service area. Table of allotments of the US Federal Communication Commission's sixth report and order; Concern on directional patterns; Lobe shape changes of television stations; Description of a DTV...
- Progressive or interlace: What will you do? Libin, Louis // Broadcast Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p43
Focuses on the digital television system in the United States. Significant advance over the NTSC television standard; Utilization of digital compression, packetization and 8VSB modulation; Reliance on multiple video formats. INSET: TV manufacturers to showcase HDTVs at NAB..
- Bright future for DTV. // Broadcast Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p294
Presents a graph showing projected household penetration of digital television in the United States from 1999 to 2006.
- Server clustering for broadcast digital video. Christenson, Tom // Broadcast Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p320
Focuses on the advantages of utilizing MediaCluster in digital television applications. Network of directly connected video servers that act as a single server; Unique level of fault resilience; Flexibility of the system.