Monetizing the Mouse
- MOUSE NET AT A LOSS. Donahue, Ann // Daily Variety;11/10/2000, Vol. 269 Issue 50, p5
Reports on decline in Walt Disney Internet Group's stock price after the Internet company announced its losses for the fourth quarter of 2000. Comparison of the company's financial performance for the period and in 1999; Annual revenues; Growth strategy of the company.
- Fast Facts. // Inter@ctive Week;07/05/99, Vol. 6 Issue 27, p42
Presents news briefs on the Internet industry in July 1999. Decision of Walt Disney Company's Buena Vista Internet Group not to accept advertising from companies that do not have their corporate privacy policies accessible on their sites; Planned upgrade for America Online's on-screen look;...
- Dis Web unit trims 135 more jobs. Randall, Laura // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;02/27/2001, Vol. 367 Issue 8, p97
Highlights the decision of Walt Disney Internet Group to cut 135 additional jobs mostly from the group's technology department.
- Big News: Cross-Sell. Barrett, Randy // Interactive Week;11/12/2001, Vol. 8 Issue 44, pN.PAG
Focuses on the decline in business of online publishing and interactive media companies in 2001. Amount of loss posted by Bertelsmann Multimedia Group for the year 2001; Losses of Walt Disney Internet Group in the first nine months of 2001; Outlook of pure-play media and e-commerce company CNet...
- Disney unplugs Go.com, cuts 400 employees. Randall, Laura // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;01/30/2001, Vol. 366 Issue 38, p1
Announces that United States-based Walt Disney Co. will bring its separately traded Walt Disney Internet Group back into the Disney fold following the unprofitable performance of Web portal Go.COM. Number of jobs that will be eliminated from Go.COM; History of the Disney Web portal; Conversion...
- Multiplayer games eye kid, sport categories. Bloom, David // Variety;10/28/2002, Vol. 388 Issue 11, p6
Reports on the growth of the market for mass multiplayer online games. Debut of the SmallBall Baseball; Release of the Toontown Online by the Walt Disney Internet Group.
- Internet junkie turns cyberspace into playground. Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;01/25/99, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p54
Profiles Jake Winebaum, chairman of Buena Vista Internet Group. Efforts to launch a feature or subcategory every month centering on the core categories of news, sports, kids and family; Strategy in editing Disney's `Family PC Magazine'; Career background. INSET: Walt's new medium.
- Disney Cuts Include Enhanced-TV Guru. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;03/05/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p18
Reports on the elimination of 135 jobs at the Walt Disney Internet Group in February 2001. Inclusion of senior vice president Jonathan Leess among those who were dismissed; Walt Disney's purchase of a 50 percent stake in entertainment magazine 'US Weekly.'
- Disney Net Group Livin' Large With New Ads. Heim, Sarah J. // Adweek Eastern Edition;9/25/2000, Vol. 41 Issue 39, p64
Reports that the Disney Internet Group has rolled out an advertising unit. Mission to attract advertisers and encourage customers to use the Internet; Use of alternative banner advertisements.