Swimming: A Plan B Essay
- Swimming into History. Dragovich, Debra // Highlights;Oct2012, Vol. 67 Issue 10, p36
The article features swimmer Lynne Cox, which is considered the best cold-water long-distance swimmer in the world.
- PEI expatriate completes swim in South Africa. // Active Living: Newsletters;Jan2007, pN10
The article reports that Kristin Roe, a swimmer from Prince Edward Island, has competed a marathon swim from Robben Island to Cape Town in South Africa. Roe, the first Canadian-born swimmer to accomplish the challenge, has taken three hours and nine minutes to cover the 8-kilometer stretch. The...
- Swimming athlete Tang Wing-yung wins a gold medal at the 6th Asian Open Water Swimming Championship. // Sports Bulletin;Jul2013, Vol. 7, p5
The article reports on swimmer Tang Wing-yung, who won a gold medal during the 6th Asian Open Water Swimming Championship Women's Race 5 kilometer event held in Kapshagay, Kazakhstan from June 17-22, 2013.
- The Strokes. Weiner, Jill // New York;7/2/2007, Vol. 40 Issue 24, p26
The article presents brief interviews with four swimmers who competed in the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, which covers 28.5 miles. Swimmer Connor Bowman says it is much less boring than swimming in a pool. Alan Morrison's fear was the tough current they were going to swim against at the...
- SHE TAKES A LONG SWIM OFF A SHORT PIER. Levin, Dan // Sports Illustrated;12/06/1971, Vol. 35 Issue 23, p38
The article features 22-year-old Diana Nayd, who is known as the best woman distance swimmer in the world in 1971. Nayd previously trained as a tennis player but the sport was not meant for her and she discovered this truth after she joined the 1970 Labatt's International Ten-Mile Marathon Swim,...
- 'She smiles when she swims'. Etter, Nicole Sweeney // UU World;Spring2015, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p8
The article focuses on 16-year-old competitive swimmer Charlotte Samuels who has secured her title as the world's youngest person to complete the Triple Crown of open-water swimming. Topics include her 20-hour swim across the Catalina Channel off the coast of California in August 2014, her...
- Keeping the Safety Messages Simple: The International Task Force on Open-Water Recreational Drowning Prevention. Quan, L.; Bennett, E.; Moran, K. // XIth International Symposium for Biomechanics & Medicine in Swim;2010, Issue 11, p371
Globally, many organizations addressed the risk of drowning associated with aquatic recreation by promoting a plethora of drowning prevention messages. Preliminary discussion among drowning prevention advocates suggested that messages could be contained within simplified generic messages...
- Distance-swimming lawyer raises money for charity while setting records. Davis, Jenny B. // ABA Journal;Jun2015, p1
The article presents an interview with construction law attorney Courtney Moates Paulk who is also known for her work as a distance-swimmer who raises money for charities such as the American Heart Association and organizations that provide swimming lessons to low-income children. The impact...
- USMS LONG DISTANCE OPEN WATER CHAMPIONSHIPS. // Swim Magazine;Mar/Apr2004, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p36
Presents information on several events in the U.S. Masters Swimming Long Distance Open Water Championships to be held on June 12-July 17, 2004.