Medicine as charity: Bishop Butler on cheerful giving
- OBITUARY. // America;8/5/1911, Vol. 5 Issue 17, p408
The article presents an obituary for Reverend Joseph Butler, President of St. Bonaventure's College and Seminary.
- FRAGMENTS. Butler, Joseph; Steere, Edward // Some Remains (hitherto unpublished) of Joseph Butler, LL.D.;3/ 1/2008, p3
Several excerpts from the autographs of Bishop Joseph Butler, now in the library at the British Museum, are presented.
- PROBABILITY AS A GUIDE IN LIFE. Kyburg Jr., Henry E. // Monist;Apr2001, Vol. 84 Issue 2, p135
Contemplates on philosopher Joseph Butler's (1736) statement on the use of probability as a guide in life. Minimal guidance afforded by subjective probability; Defense of Butler's thesis.
- Joseph Butler on Forgiveness: A Presupposed Theory of Emotion. Newberry, Paul A. // Journal of the History of Ideas;Apr2001, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p233
Demonstrates the characterization of forgiveness by Joseph Butler in relation to Murphy's theory. Criticism on the consideration of forgiveness as forbearance; Consideration of the definition emanated from desires and actions from emotion; Reasons for criticisms of Butler's definition of...
- PRAYERS. Butler, Joseph; Steere, Edward // Some Remains (hitherto unpublished) of Joseph Butler, LL.D.;3/ 1/2008, p8
The article presents several poems by Bishop Joseph Butler. First Line: O Almighty God, Maker and Preserver of the world, Governor and Judge of all creatures, Last Line: which He has taught us. First Line: Almighty God, by whose protection we were preserved the night passed, and are here; Last...
- Charity care in Texas: Numbers don't tell the story. Lutz, Sandy // Modern Healthcare;5/06/96, Vol. 26 Issue 19, p36
Focuses on the increase in charity care statistics of hospitals in Texas due to improvements in charity care spending tracking systems. Initial results of the state's hospital charity-care law; Individual hospitals' different takes on what is considered charity care. INSETS: Hermann Hospital...
- MATTHEW ARNOLD, BISHOP JOSEPH BUTLER, AND THE FOUNDATION OF RELIGIOUS FAITH. Harris, Terry G. // Victorian Studies;Winter88, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p189
Presents a critical analysis of the religious writings of Matthew Arnold and its comparison with Joseph Butler. Characterization of the writings of Arnold; Details on the interest of Arnold in the writings of Butler; Discussion on the religious thoughts of Arnold and Butler.
- Identity in the Loose and Popular Sense. BAXTER, DONALD L. M. // Mind;Oct1988, Vol. 97 Issue 388, p575
In this article, the author comments on the views of Joseph Butler on personal identity as published in the book "The Analogy of Religion." He states that the concept of loose identity by Butler is obscure between the identity of the loosely one and itself, and identity of the strictly two with...
- A Challenge to Anti-Criterialism. Duncan, Matt // Erkenntnis;Apr2014, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p283
Most theists believe that they will survive death. Indeed, they believe that any given person will survive death and persist into an afterlife while remaining the very same person. In light of this belief, one might ask: how-or, in virtue of what-do people survive death? Perhaps the most natural...