The Hanger Artificial Limb Company
- Prosthetic breakthrough cuts surgery time to the bone. Pierce, Julia // Engineer (00137758);5/30/2003, Vol. 292 Issue 7628, p13
Features a prosthetic implant that promises to improve recovery time and minimize infection rates for patients needing a bone replacement. Design specification; Benefits offered to patients.
- Preparation of Biocompatible Inorganic Materials for the Replacement of Hard Tissues. Nixon, Malcolm // Japanese Biotechnology & Medical Technology;Apr/May2001, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p18
Discusses research being done on the construction of an artificial hard tissue material made of hydroxyapatite and a titanium frame.
- THE ENTEGRA SV. // O&P Almanac;Jul2010, Vol. 59 Issue 7, p45
The article offers information on the Entegra SV hydraulic swing phase control knee from Hosmer.
- New Prosthetic Foot Steps Up Walking Energy. // O&P Almanac;May2010, Vol. 59 Issue 5, p10
The article mentions a new artificial foot developed at the University of Michigan which claims to reduce nearly 50 percent of the energy lost during walking with a prosthesis.
- Prosthetic Joint Infections: Bane of Orthopedists, Challenge for Infectious Disease Specialists. Lentino, Joseph R. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;5/1/2003, Vol. 36 Issue 9, p1157
Prosthetic joint infections (PJIs) occur in ~ 1.5% of all primary hip or knee arthroplasties. The mortality rate attributed to PJIs may be as high as 2.5 Substantial morbidity is associated with a loss of mobility, although this is temporary. The costs associated with a single episode of PJI are...
- Avascular Necrosis in the Young Patient: A Trilogy of Arthroplasty Options. McMinn, Derek J. W.; Daniel, Joseph; Pradhan, Chandra; Ziaee, Hena // Orthopedics;Sep2005, Vol. 28 Issue 9, p945
Focuses on the types of prosthesis implanted in patients with femoral head avascular necrosis. Properties of the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing prosthesis; Implants recommended for patients with extensive avascular necrosis; Prosthesis that can be used as alternative for patients who are young...
- Nanofibres line up for implants. // Process Engineering;Jan2005, Vol. 86 Issue 1, p10
Presents a research from Purdue University showing key to producing artificial joints. Alignment of the fibres within the resin matrix; Techniques used for aligning the reinforcing nanofibres; Development of nanofibres line for implants.
- Spine-tingling. Doran, Ryan // Fairfield County Business Journal;6/9/2008, Vol. 47 Issue 23, p16
The article reports on a new type of prosthesis that is being used at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut to help people suffering from arthritis of the back. According to Dr. Scott Sanderson, a cervical disc can now be removed and replaced with one made of stainless steel. Further, the surgery is...
- Low sensitivity of histology to predict the presence of microorganisms in suspected aseptic loosening of a joint prosthesis. Bori, Guillem; Soriano, Alex; García, Sebastián; Gallart, Xavier; Casanova, Luis; Mallofre, Carme; Almela, Manel; Martínez, José A.; Riba, Josep; Mensa, Josep // Modern Pathology;Jun2006, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p874
Intraoperative histology has a high specificity and sensitivity when a septic prosthesis loosening is suspected. However, its usefulness to predict the presence of microorganisms when aseptic loosening is suspected is not well defined. Intraoperative histology and cultures from periprosthetic...