Of Chickens and Men: Cockfighting and Equality in the South
- Squawks & Feathers. // Time;1/27/1961, Vol. 77 Issue 5, p54
The article focuses on cockfighting as a legal sport.
- Hog Heaven: Funeral and Mourning Rituals of an Independent Motorcycle Club. Shabanowitz, Robert B. // International Journal of Motorcycle Studies;Spring2013, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p6
The article discusses how a motorcycling subculture influences the rituals associated with death. Subcultures are cultures within a culture, and are determined by geography, ethnicity, political ideology, sexual orientation, and recreational activities. Religious and cultural rituals related to...
- Introduction. Limits, Thresholds, Frontiers: Gothic Unbound. Byron, Glennis; Saggini, Francesca // Textus;Sep-Dec2012, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p7
The article introduces the September 2012 issue of the journal "Textus" which focuses on the expansive frontiers of the Gothic and its multiple, evolving discourses and practices.
- INTERETHNIC CLAN IDENTITIES AMONG CUSHITIC-SPEAKING PASTORALISTS. Schlee, Günther // Africa (Edinburgh University Press);1985, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p17
Establishes interethnic clan identities and early ethnic configurations among Cushitic-speaking pastoralists in Kenya. Reconstruction of northern Kenyan history; Indicators of clan identity; Principles regarding cultural similarities between different cultures and societies or sub-units.
- introduction: Critical Indigenous Theory. Moreton-Robinson, Aileen // Cultural Studies Review;Sep2009, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p10
The article discusses various topics published within the issue, including one by Jodi Byrd on how the frontier narrative of manifest destiny operated discursively within different cultural formations in the U.S presidential electoral process in 2008, another by Bronwyn Fredericks on how health...
- The tragedy of cultural isolation: It's a sweet-tasting poison. SOWELL, THOMAS // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;8/5/2013, Vol. 42 Issue 51, p14
The author discusses cultural isolation which serves the interests of racial and ethnic leaders.
- CRANIAL CURIOSITY. STEINMANN, LAURA // Psychology Today;Mar/Apr2015, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p6
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "The Past Is Written on Your Face" in the December 2014 issue.
- Fowl play! // Asian Pacific Post;8/2/2007, p20
The article focuses on the 2007 World Slasher Cup II, a cockfighting event that took place in Araneta Coliseum in the Philippines. The event has attracted entries from Japan, Germany and several U.S. states like Alabama, California, Nevada and Pennsylvania. Jorge Araneta, owner of the coliseum...
- LETTER FROM THE PUBLISHER. Munro, J. Richard // Sports Illustrated;05/22/1972, Vol. 36 Issue 21, p5
In the article, the author discusses the sport of cockfighting, which he claims as one of the oldest sports. He cites the novel "Cockfighter," by Charles Willeford, which he says is a study of human aggressiveness and greed. He presents the opinion of social critic Cleveland Amory about...