Of Chickens and Men: Cockfighting and Equality in the South
- Squawks & Feathers. // Time;1/27/1961, Vol. 77 Issue 5, p54
The article focuses on cockfighting as a legal sport.
- Introduction. Limits, Thresholds, Frontiers: Gothic Unbound. Byron, Glennis; Saggini, Francesca // Textus;Sep-Dec2012, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p7
The article introduces the September 2012 issue of the journal "Textus" which focuses on the expansive frontiers of the Gothic and its multiple, evolving discourses and practices.
- INTERETHNIC CLAN IDENTITIES AMONG CUSHITIC-SPEAKING PASTORALISTS. Schlee, G�nther // Africa (Edinburgh University Press);1985, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p17
Establishes interethnic clan identities and early ethnic configurations among Cushitic-speaking pastoralists in Kenya. Reconstruction of northern Kenyan history; Indicators of clan identity; Principles regarding cultural similarities between different cultures and societies or sub-units.
- The tragedy of cultural isolation: It's a sweet-tasting poison. SOWELL, THOMAS // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;8/5/2013, Vol. 42 Issue 51, p14
The author discusses cultural isolation which serves the interests of racial and ethnic leaders.
- introduction: Critical Indigenous Theory. Moreton-Robinson, Aileen // Cultural Studies Review;Sep2009, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p10
The article discusses various topics published within the issue, including one by Jodi Byrd on how the frontier narrative of manifest destiny operated discursively within different cultural formations in the U.S presidential electoral process in 2008, another by Bronwyn Fredericks on how health...
- Fowl play! // Asian Pacific Post;8/2/2007, p20
The article focuses on the 2007 World Slasher Cup II, a cockfighting event that took place in Araneta Coliseum in the Philippines. The event has attracted entries from Japan, Germany and several U.S. states like Alabama, California, Nevada and Pennsylvania. Jorge Araneta, owner of the coliseum...
- LETTER FROM THE PUBLISHER. Munro, J. Richard // Sports Illustrated;05/22/1972, Vol. 36 Issue 21, p5
In the article, the author discusses the sport of cockfighting, which he claims as one of the oldest sports. He cites the novel "Cockfighter," by Charles Willeford, which he says is a study of human aggressiveness and greed. He presents the opinion of social critic Cleveland Amory about...
- Racial Differences in Gratifications. Stroman, Carolyn A.; Becker, Lee B. // Journalism Quarterly;
Identifies the racial differences in media use patterns in the U.S. Details on the integrated aspects of the racial subcultures; Comparison between black and white media use habits; Accounts on the social standings of the two groups.
- Southern Exposure: Deciphering the South's Influence on Homicide Rates. Huff-Corzine, Lin; Corzine, Jay; Moore, David C. // Social Forces;Jun86, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p906
Studies have consistently shown the South to have the highest homicide rates in the United States. Two theories to explain this have been proposed: a regionally based subculture of violence thesis and a structural interpretation emphasizing high rates of poverty in the South. These explanations...