- Breast Self-examination: Improving Competence and Frequency in a Classroom Setting. Dorsay, Richard H.; Cuneo, Wendy D.; Somkin, Carol P.; Tekawa, Irene S. // American Journal of Public Health;May88, Vol. 78 Issue 5, p520
We conducted a prospective study of 459 women to determine if a one-session class in breast self-examination (BSE) can improve competence and frequency. Women who attended the class were randomly assigned to one of two groups. We assessed three areas of competence of BSE in one group immediately...
- How Best to Teach Women Breast Self--Examination. Fletcher, Suzanne W.; O'Malley, Michael S.; Earp, JoAnne L.; Morgan, Timothy M.; Lin, Shao; Degnan, Darrah // Annals of Internal Medicine;5/15/90, Vol. 112 Issue 10, p772
Evaluates three methods of teaching breast self-examination in an age group of women at risk for breast cancer. Lump discrimination skills of Mammacare instruction; Stressing examination technique; Physician encouragement.
- What you should feel during breast self-exams. Young, Stephanie // Glamour;May97, Vol. 95 Issue 5, p71
Offers advice on what to look for when conducting a breast self-examination from the book `The Breast Book' by Miriam Stoppard.
- How to do a breast self-exam. Strong, Leslie // Self;Oct97, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p224
Offers advice on how to conduct a self examination for breast cancer. Steps for when you are in the shower, in front a mirror or lying down. INSETS: Your real risk.;A guide to breast lumps.;New therapies.;Good guys.
- Breast self-exams: Some now say they are of no value. // Modern Medicine;Aug94, Vol. 62 Issue 8, p8
Reports on studies on the role of breast self-examinations (BSE) in reducing mortality from breast cancer. Objections against the promotion of monthly BSE; Effects of BSE; Positive aspects of BSE.
- How to do a self-exam. Koontz, Katy // Shape;Oct94, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p71
Presents advice on performing self-examinations for breast cancer. Visual exam; Manual exam; Proper approach.
- Self-exams made easy. Acosta, Kim; Colino, Stacey // Shape;Oct2005, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p101
Presents tips for self-examination of breasts.
- New York Life poll says majority of women do monthly self-exams for breast cancer. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;11/6/95, Vol. 99 Issue 45, p44
Reports on a New York Life Insurance Co. survey finding that a majority of American women perform regular self-examinations for breast cancer and act quickly when they discover a lump.
- Could You Find a Lump? Harris, Lynn // Glamour;Oct2008, Vol. 106 Issue 10, p324
The article discusses self-breast examinations. Advice is given on steps women should take in order to know what their breasts feel like and how they can detect if changes have occurred. A test which "Glamour" magazine conducted to determine if volunteers could find the lumps in an educational...
- Self-examination does not reduce breast cancer mortality. Wittink, Marsha; Straton, Joseph B. // Journal of Family Practice;Feb2003, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p104
The article presents a study that evaluates the role of breast self-examination in the reduction of breast cancer-related mortality. The study was conducted among women in Shanghai, China recruited through the factories' health care facilities who were not provided with breast self-examination...