CURE: CANCER, UPDATES, RESEARCH & EDUCATION
- Interpersonal Factors Predict Increased Desire for Hastened Death in Late-Stage Cancer Patients. Ransom, Sean; Sacco, William P.; Weitzner, Michael A.; Azzarello, Lora M.; McMillan, Susan C. // Annals of Behavioral Medicine;2006, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p63
Background: Cancer patients at the end of life sometimes express a wish that death would come quickly, but this desire for hastened death (DHD) remains little understood. Relationships with spousal caregivers may play a role in patients' DHD. Purpose: This study examined factors that could...
- Impact of aging on cancer immunity and immunotherapy. Pawelec, Graham; Lustgarten, Joseph; Ruby, Carl; Gravekamp, Claudia // Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy;Dec2009, Vol. 58 Issue 12, p1907
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one on the study of centenarians and their protection from cancer, another on the correlation of inflammation and carcinogenesis, and another one on CD40L costimulation.
- Perception of empowerment by family caregivers of patients with a terminal illness in Hong Kong. Mok, Esther; Chan, Faye; Chan, Vivian; Yeung, Ellen // International Journal of Palliative Nursing;Mar2002, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p137
Details the nurse-facilitated empowering experiences of family caregivers in Hong Kong, China. Conduction of in-depth interviews among caregivers of patients with terminal cancer; Basis for collection and analysis of data; Consequences of empowerment.
- Patterns of Caregiver Experiences Among Partners of Cancer Patients. Nijboer, Chris; Triemstra, Mattanja // Gerontologist;Dec2000, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p738
Presents information on a study which described patterns of caregiving experiences in partners of cancer patients. Methodology; Results of the study; Discussion.
- Ball game in memory of two people, not one. // Hub (Hay River, NT);
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Playing for a cause" published in the August 21, 2013 issue.
- Increased use of chemotherapy for gastric cancer has not extended OS. // Hem/Onc Today;11/25/2013, Vol. 14 Issue 22, p53
The article discusses research on the effect of the increased use of chemotherapy on the overall survival (OS) of patient with gastric cancer, referencing a study by N. Bernards et al published in a 2013 issue of "Annals of Oncology."
- What is the best way to help caregivers in cancer and palliative care? A systematic literature review of interventions and their effectiveness. Harding, R; Higginson, IJ // Palliative Medicine;Jan2003, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p63
Informal carers in cancer and palliative care are known to have high needs and psychological morbidity, yet a literature review identified few targeted interventions. This systematic review of interventions for carers of patients using home cancer and palliative care services searched Medline,...
- When caring seems impossible. Stam, Henderikus J.; Frank, Arthur W. // Second Opinion;Apr94, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p36
Opinion. Gives the author's view regarding the story of a woman taking care of her ill husband. Objectivity and high regard for a philosophy of individual responsibilities and rights; `Mean, angry, painful' side of cancer; Discusses the anger in the cancer patients.
- Caregiver Burden and Symptom Distress in People With Cancer Receiving Hospice Care. Andrews, Stephanie Crawford // Oncology Nursing Forum;Oct2001, Vol. 28 Issue 9, p1469
Purpose/Objectives: To examine the relationship between caregiver burden and symptom distress in patients with terminal cancer who are enrolled in hospice. Design: Descriptive, quantitative. Setting: A large, metropolitan, nonprofit-based organization in west central Florida. Sample: Convenience...