John Canaday on art
- WHAT IS HE? Berenson, Ruth // National Review;7/7/1978, Vol. 30 Issue 27, p850
This article reviews the exhibition of Saul Steinberg's drawings and assemblages at the Whitney Museum in New York City in 1978.
- Mural Maker. Boyd, Amanda // Cincinnati;Jul2007, Vol. 40 Issue 10, p43
The article reports that the mural, entitled "The Mural of Cincinnati," by artist Saul Steinberg would be displayed along with his other drawings, paintings, sculptures, and prints at the Cincinnati Art Museum in Cincinnati, Ohio. The mural was donated to the museum in 1965 and restored with the...
- An American Show. Farber, Manny // New Republic;10/14/46, Vol. 115 Issue 15, p485
Reviews the "Fourteen Americans," exhibition of American painting and sculpture at the Museum of Modern Art. List of painters and sculptors who participated in the exhibition; Tendency of American artist to isolate himself from other artists by means of individual stylization; Depiction of...
- SAUL STEINBERG. FOX, DAN // Frieze;Jan/Feb2013, Issue 152, p160
The article reviews the exhibition "Steinberg, Saul. The New Yorker. New York, 1945-2000. (Harold, William, Robert, Tina, David, Eds.)" by Saul Steinberg at the Yale Union gallery in Portland, Oregon.
- United Kingdom. // Art Newspaper;Nov2009, Vol. 17 Issue 196, p78
The article reviews various art exhibitions in Great Britain including "Babylon," on view at the British Museum from November 13, 2008 to March 15, 2009, "The Revolution continues: New Art From China," at the Saatchi Gallery until January 18, 2009, and "Saul Steinberg: Illuminations," at the...
- SMITHSONIAN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM. Davidson, Susan // Washingtonian Magazine;Apr2007, Vol. 42 Issue 7, p20
The article reports on the art exhibit "Saul Steinberg: Illuminations" that will be held at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C. from April to June 2007. The exhibit will feature drawings, collages, and sculpture. It will include doodles the cartoonist made when he was artist...
- Professional Page. CHAMBERLAIN, BETTY // American Artist;Mar1978, Vol. 42 Issue 428, p14
The article discusses several developments and issues of interest to the art sector, as of March 1978. A new trend involving the reproduction of the paintings of artists into postcards is growing in the U.S. The first edition of the Artists' Postcards include the works of such artists as Saul...
- Émigr&eaucte; From Another Planet. Stevens, Mark // New York;12/25/2006, Vol. 39 Issue 46, p96
The article reviews the exhibitions "A City on Paper: Saul Steinberg's New York," at the Museum of the City of New York in New York City through March 25, 2006, and "Saul Steinberg: Illuminations," at the Morgan Library & Museum in New York City through March 4, 2006.
- Mural, Interrupted. Doane, Kathleen // Cincinnati;Aug2007, Vol. 40 Issue 11, p124
The article talks about some historical paintings created by Saul Steinberg. One of the paintings named "Mural of Cincinnati" was recently revitalized by a team of conservators at the Intermuseum Conservation Association in Cleveland, Ohio. Once the revitalization was over, the painting was...