Practice Corner: Clinical practice guidelines and handheld computers
- Clinical effectiveness. // Age & Ageing;Aug2013, Vol. 42 Issue suppl_3, piii1
The article presents abstracts on medical topics which include the importance of polypharmacy held by hospital doctors, a survey of geriatricians and nurses and the assessment of urinary continence at a community inpatient rehabilitation centre.
- Developing a strategic approach to clinical audit. Shirley, Janet; Brady, Helen // Clinician in Management;2005, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p45
As a result of changes in the trust following a Commission for Health Improvement (CHI) review, a new, strategic approach to clinical audit and effectiveness has been taken, more resource has been provided, the profile of clinical audit within the trust has been raised and its critical links to...
- Applying clinical practice guidelines in caring for older adults with diabetes. Shah, Amit A.; Durso, Samuel C. // Patient Care;Feb2007, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p18
This article describes an approach to individualize the care of older patient with diabetes mellitus in light of the application of clinical practice guidelines (CPG) in the U.S. Several challenges posed by the application of CPG are described. One of which was that these guidelines often fail...
- Inactivated Influenza Vaccines: Pre-Vaccination Haemagglutinn-Antibody Titres Influence the Vaccine Response but Not Necessarily the Vaccine Effectiveness. Lang, Pierre-Olivier; Parodi, Valentina; de Florentiis, Daniela; Ansaldi, Filippo // Drugs & Aging;2011, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p505
A letter to the editor and a response by Valentina Parodi, Daniela de Florentiis and Filippo Ansaldi are presented about the article on immune response elicited by influenza vaccines in aged adults in the previous issue.
- Cochrane drugs and alcohol group: the development of systematic reviews of treatment outcome. MATTICK, RICHARD P.; ALI, ROBERT; AURIACOMBE, MARC; DAVOLI, MARINA; FAGGIANO, FABRIZIO; FARRELL, MICHAEL; FERRI, MARICA; LING, WALTER // Alcohol & Alcoholism;Mar2001, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p109
â€” The aim of the Cochrane Collaboration is to promote review processes which address all aspects of health care and which can be viewed by clinicians to guide their day-to-day clinical practice. Recently, a Cochrane review group on drugs and alcohol has been developed. The Cochrane Review...
- Review: Statins do not increase minor or serious symptomatic adverse events in placebo-controlled trials. Jain, Meera; Wernick, Richard // ACP Journal Club;7/1/2014, Vol. 161 Issue 2, p1
The article focuses on a systematic review that explored the proportion of side-effects of statins on patients, that are actually caused by the drug, in placebo-controlled double-blind, randomized, controlled trials. As mentioned, the review concluded that statins might increase diabetes in...
- Standardizing management of hepatocellular carcinoma in China: Devising evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Peipei Song // BioScience Trends;Oct2013, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p250
Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) have been used in many countries around the world to promote standardized management of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Guidelines implemented in Japan provide a good example of "translating the best current research evidence into clinical...
- Time-Motion Study to Know: Efficiency and Effectiveness of Clinical Care is Essential to Hospital Function? Bhargo, Leena; Mishra, Ashok; Kumar Agarwal, Anil // Indian Journal of Community Medicine;Oct-Dec2014, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p254
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article regarding the study of time motion.
- A Clinical Practice Guideline Update from The CCA-CFCRB-CPG. // Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association;Mar2007, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p19
The article provides an update of the clinical practice guideline from The Canadian Chiropractic Association and the Canadian Federation of Chiropractic Regulatory Boards, Clinical Practice Guidelines Development Initiative (The CCA-CFCRB-CPG). It applies the evidence rating method used in the...