Higher aspirations only grow from strong roots
- Second that emotion. Perry, Phillip M. // American Nurseryman;08/01/98, Vol. 188 Issue 3, p66
Discusses the importance of using emotional intelligence for solving problems in the workplace. How to deal with different kinds of employees; Advice on listening to employees; How to deal with extreme workload.
- The delicate art of giving feedback. POZEN, ROBERT C. // Finweek;4/18/2013, p39
The article discusses the things that should be considered in giving feedback to employees. It says that negative feedback can bring adverse effects on the well-being and productivity of employees. It suggests that although negative feedback is regarded as a key tool in effective management, it...
- Problem bosses. // Essence (Essence);Aug88, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p94
Gives ideas for dealing with insecure, prejudiced, and overly demanding bosses.
- Relating verbal immediacy to managers' influence techniques. Lamude, Kevin G.; Scudder, Joseph // Psychological Reports;Dec93, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p833
Explores the relationship between managers' verbal immediacy behaviors and their influence techniques. Significant five-variable equation by stepwise regression analysis; Perceived immediacy behaviors of middle managers; Association of successful use of rewards and expertise in influence; Less...
- Mimic your way to the top. Reibstein, L.; Joseph, N. // Newsweek;8/8/1988, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p50
Discusses what psychologists call `modeling,' mirroring,' or `patterning'--subordinates mimicking the boss's behavior, whether intentionally or not, and its effects on both the boss and the subordinate.
- Resolved: I'll be a better boss. Grothe, M.; Wylie, P. // Nation's Business;Jan88, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p43
Two psychologists, Mardy Grothe and Peter Wylie, of Performance Improvement Associates, a management consulting firm in Boston, MA and Washington DC, discuss the reasons employees might describe their bosses as problem bosses even if they like andrespect them. Self-deception; Externalizing;...
- Famous last words. // Entrepreneur;Jun95, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p60
Talks about employee turnover in small or big companies and ways and means to reduce its future turnover rate. Exit interview as an effective tool for employee retention; Prerequisites for conducting an exit interview.
- The questions your employees are afraid to ask.... Gaines, Lynne // Executive Female (0199-2880);Sep/Oct94, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p17
Discusses how a manager can deal with his employees' anxiety. Reasons for preoccupation with worry; Drawbacks to inability to handle employees' fear of the boss; Suggestions on how to cope with subordinates' fear of the manager. INSET: New-job know-how..
- Are your employees avoiding you? Managerial strategies for closing the feedback gap. Moss, Sherry E.; Sanchez, Juan I. // Academy of Management Executive;Feb2004, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p32
When employees perform poorly, they should seek feedback from managers. In return, managers should give constructive feedback to employees, so that they can improve their performance. However, this kind of meaningful exchange about employee performance is often precluded by managers themselves....