Why a minimum wage would cost workers dear
- The minimum wage and the working poor. Quigley, William // America;6/3/1995, Vol. 172 Issue 20, p6
Argues that the way for working people to be out of their poverty is to raise the minimum wage. 1995 federal poverty levels based on household size; Value of the minimum wage since the 1960s in terms of 1992 dollars; Argument that raising it would reduce unemployment.
- A minimum wage: Will it pay? Lea, Ruth // Director;Feb1996, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p25
Examines the implications of a national minimum wage (NWM) for British employment. Wage determination in a competitive labor market; Potential job losses; Inflationary push on prices; Enforcement problem; Burdens on business.
- Minimum wages create poverty. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;3/7/94, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p27
Cites `The Dangerous Samaritans: How we unintentionally injure the poor,' by Michael Bauman from the January 1994 issue of `Imprimis,' which said by artificially raising the wages of the least skilled and experienced workers we make it increasingly unlikely that they will get or keep a job. Why...
- WHAT DO ECONOMIC LIBERALS BELIEVE? Norton, Andrew // Policy;Spring2009, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p26
The article reports on the 2009 Australian survey regarding the ideals and beliefs of economic liberals. In regards to economic policy, about 85% of economic liberals support the idea that minimum wage laws price some workers out of the labour market, and half of 1% support the idea that minimum...
- Survey: Business owners back minimum wage boost. Allen, Freddie // Charlotte Post;7/24/2014, Vol. 39 Issue 46, p1A
The article reports on survey related to the views of business owners and entrepreneurs on increasing the federal minimum wages of employees and also discusses its impact on economic development and growth of the business along with its impact on living standards of employees.
- Time to Raise Minimum Wage. Curry, George E. // Washington Informer;11/21/2013, Vol. 49 Issue 6, p25
The author presents his views on a proposal to increase the value of the minimum wage in the U.S., examining resistance to the changes from Republican politicians, potential affects of raising the minimum wage on minorities, and state minimum wages.
- BUSINESS PULSE. // Buffalo Law Journal;4/22/2013, Vol. 85 Issue 25, p21
The article reports on the result of poll asked from March 19-26, 2013 regarding the question of whether the federal minimum wage should be raised into $9 per hour or should remained $7.25 per hour.
- The Living Wage Movement. Sammon, Peter J. // America;08/26/2000, Vol. 183 Issue 5, p16
Offers a look on the campaigns of Living Wage movement to raise the minimum wage of workers in the United States. When the movement was established; Legislated minimum wage per hour of a worker; Details on the proposals and demands of the living wage advocates; Economic and health benefits of...
- MINIMUM WAGE. Farrell, James J. // Clergy Journal;Apr2007, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p34
The article discusses the implications of minimum wage for the perpetuation of the culture of poverty in the U.S. The article cites the classic article "The Uses of Poverty," by Herbert Gans which illustrated the benefits provided by poor people to the rest of the society. According to the...