Yes, the U.S.A. is a foreign destination
- The invention of a culture. Zea, L. // UNESCO Courier;May92, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p42
Discusses the creation of an American identity based on racial and cultural intermingling. Traces process over five centuries since shock of conquest; Christopher Columbus's voyage in 1492; Two different forms of expansion; Iberian expansion reflected obligation to preach Gospel; More.
- Building a home away from home. Irwin, V. // Scholastic Update;11/15/91, Vol. 124 Issue 6, p21
Describes what it's like to be a Japanese family stationed in the United States. Challenges faced; Learning to adapt to a new culture; How some Japanese families have established their own residential enclaves; Efforts to take part in American society; Potential impact of these cross-cultural...
- GERMANY'S GLOBAL VILLAGE. Bradley, Kimberly // Junior Scholastic;3/26/2007, Vol. 109 Issue 15, p12
The article focuses on the rise of cultural diversity in Germany.
- Acculturation and its relation to Asian-Indian immigrants' perceptions of advertisements. Khairullah, Durriya Z. // Journal of Applied Business Research;Spring95, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p55
Attempts to determine whether the perceptions of Asian-Indian immigrants in the United States towards Indian print versus American print advertisements vary within and across stages of acculturation. Implications of the effect of acculturation in advertising programs.
- Smoothing out cross-cultural differences. // Career World;Sep91, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p19
Reports on cultural diversity management. This growing field can help foreign-born employees make a smooth transition to American style work.
- Development Education Revisited: The New Zealand Experience. Small, David // International Review of Education / Internationale Zeitschrift f;1997, Vol. 43 Issue 5/6, p581
Until the mid-1980s, New Zealanders were progressing in their understanding of the causes of and strategies for overcoming world poverty and injustice. However, the arrival of more multinational aid agencies and the increased competition for the donor dollar have given rise to a new conservatism...
- A voice from away. Roslyakova, K. // Yankee;Dec91, Vol. 55 Issue 12, p28
Describes the author's difficulties conversing with Americans after leaving her native Russia.
- Remembering Mary, Shaping Revolt: Reconsidering the Stono Rebellion. Smith, Mark M. // Journal of Southern History;Aug2001, Vol. 67 Issue 3, p513
Examines the effect of Stono rebellion on the African acculturation in colonial North America. Implications of the slaves revolt; Factors in the timing and shaping of the rebellion; Role of Kongolese Catholicism in shaping the form of the Stono rebellion.
- Effects of acculturation and structural assimilation in resource-based recreation: The case of... Floyd, Myron F.; Gramann, James H. // Journal of Leisure Research;1993, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p6
Examines the effects of Mexican American acculturation and structural assimilation on outdoor recreation patterns. Primary structural assimilation; Level of acculturation; Patterns of recreation behavior; ethnic assimilation; Subcultural identity.