What's going on here?
- Superfund reform unlikely in '98: Lott. Hofmann, Mark A. // Business Insurance;02/09/98, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p10
Reports that according to United States Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, the Senate is not likely to pass Superfund reform legislation in 1998. How Lott feels about a $368.5 billion global settlement between cigarette makers and state attorneys; When the senator would like to see Superfund...
- Ruling keeps insurer on hook. Bradford, Michael // Business Insurance;03/30/98, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p14
Reports on the federal court ruling relating to third-party bad faith claims made by insurers through their policyholder's bankruptcy proceedings. Details on the ruling made relating to bad faith claims filed by a group of creditors against Travelers Indemnity Company; Indepth look at...
- A cool reception for medical savings accounts. Daks, Martin C. // Business News New Jersey;01/19/98, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p16
Focuses on the signing of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, 1996 by United States president, Bill Clinton. When the act was signed; Who benefited most from the act; Reference to a study conducted by the Kwasha Lipton Group; Comments from Howard Tarre, a senior consultant...
- Another boost in social security taxes. Block, Julian // Central New Jersey Business;1/25/95, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p21
Reports on a possible rise in Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) taxes for 1995. Increase in the maximum amount of earnings on which the FICA taxes are assessed; FICA tax rate for 1995; Impact on high-income earners.
- HCFA begins work on administrative simplification rules. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Feb97, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p10
Focuses on President Clinton signing the law on implementation of administrative simplification provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act last August 1996. Meeting with the members of the National Committee on Vital Health Statistics (NCVHS); Reasons on why several...
- Emotional distress claim under CGL denied in Calif. Haggerty, Alfred G. // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;9/4/95, Vol. 99 Issue 36, p1
Reports that the California Supreme Court has ruled that since there's no coverage under the commercial general liability (CGL) policy for emotional distress resulting form uncovered losses, insurers have no duty to defend suits for such claims. Case of Waller v. Truck Insurance Exchange;...
- Group health continuation coverage. // Practical Accountant;Feb98, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p20
Focuses on tax legislation in the United States which provide guidance on changes made by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, 1988, and 1989.
- Who is this guy FICA? Mack, Gracian // Black Enterprise;Jan1995, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p52
States that FICA (Federal Insurance Compensation Act) taxes will be part of workers' retirement savings when they stop working. What it covers; How to find out how much you have already contributed to FICA.
- It's time to reengineer the regulatory system. Stein, Robert W. // Best's Review / Life-Health Insurance Edition;Feb95, Vol. 95 Issue 10, p62
Reports that eliminating overlapping and conflicting regulatory requirements would reduce compliance costs and help insurers better manage risk. Me-too approach of insurers in doing business; Need for a complete overhaul and streamlining of accounting requirements, actuarial standards and...
- Justice Dept. probes industry's alleged collusion in annuities. // Best's Review / Life-Health Insurance Edition;Mar1995, Vol. 95 Issue 11, p12
Reports on the challenges to the legislative protections for insurers. Justice Department's probe on alleged collusion in the annuities business; Federal class action lawsuit against Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co.; Impact of the ruling on `Variable Annuity Life Insurance Co. versus NationsBank.'