Are you a functionality-enhanced provider?
- What's the Word? // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;09/20/99, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p4
Presents an activity on vocabulary building with words related to Puerto Rico.
- Un-word of the year. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Sep1992, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p6
Says the Society for the German Language has chosen `besserwessi' (`West German know-it-all') as the `Word of the Year' for 1991, and `Auslanderfrei' or `foreigner-free' as most `inhumane language usage' of the year.
- Talking through ceilings. Payne, Steve // Buildings;May97, Vol. 91 Issue 5, p38
Discusses the terms frequently used by acousticians and sound control experts. Sound Transmission Class (STC); Ceiling Attenuation Class (CAC); Noise Reduction Coefficient (NRC); Articulation Index (AI); Others.
- Are we speaking horse Latin? // Horse & Rider;Oct92, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p6
Editorial. Examines the peculiarities of horse jargon, or equi-slang. The many meanings of the adjective `dry'; Terms for winning and losing in competition; Terms applied to various breeds such as Arabians; Slang referring to breeding; Terms that apply to a horse's quality of movement such as...
- Superstuff your vocabulary. Rosinsky, Natalie M. // Odyssey;Jan97, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p16
Presents an activity for children about enriching the vocabulary.
- Glossary. // Calliope;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p45
Presents the meaning of the word `steppe,' which refers to the broad expanse of grassland, broken up in some areas by mountains, that extends from Hungary eastward across the Ukraine and the southern Soviet Union into central Asia and Manchuria.
- Fun with words. // Calliope;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p22
Presents the definition of words which relates to ancient Nubia. Origins of `cataract', `cemetery' and `foreign'; How Greeks and Romans used the Greek name `Ethiopia'; What Egyptians meant by `Kush'; Definition of `Sudan.'
- Fun with words. // Calliope;Feb98, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p30
Presents information on various words. Origin of the word equator and Nigeria; Stories pertaining to the words Africa and calabash; Detailed information on the expression `to ferret out.'
- Scrambling for a moral vocabulary. Wall, J.M. // Christian Century;12/5/90, Vol. 107 Issue 35, p1123
Editorial. Argues for the need of a moral vocabulary in American society. Junk bond king Michael Milken's felonies; Candidate Gary Hart's extramarital affair; Martin Luther King's plagiarism; More.
- Mediate survivors. Marty, M.E. // Christian Century;5/8/91, Vol. 108 Issue 16, p535
Considers the terms `immediate' and `survivor' used in obituaries. Dancer and choreographer Martha Graham's obituary; Other wording in obituaries.