Parody or piracy?
- What is sustainable fishing? // Ausmarine;Feb2007, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p12
The article reports on the publication of draft intent statements by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) of Australia as part of its Quality and Consistency project. The draft intent statements are expected to clarify the criteria for the practice of sustainable fishing. The statements,...
- Bottomfishing Bonanza Continues off Baja California. Gatch, Tom // Log Newspaper;1/6/2012, Issue 910, p27
In this article, the author offers information on Marine Life Protection Act fishing closures along the Southern California coast for 2012. He informs that a three-month closure on rock cod fishing in Southern California has been started from January. He mentions a report for Baja California's...
- Are marine protected areas a red herring or fisheries panacea? Kaiser, Michel J. // Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences;May2005, Vol. 62 Issue 5, p1194
Chronic failures in marine fisheries management have led some to suggest that marine protected areas (MPAs) are the solution to achieve sustainable fisheries. While such systems work for certain habitat-specific and nonmobile species, their utility for highly mobile stocks is questionable. Often...
- AN UNDERSEA REVIVAL. Gravitz, Lauren // Discover;Sep2002, Vol. 23 Issue 9, p11
Outlines the call of ecologist to help reverse the decline of world fisheries. Density of marine reserves; Analysis of data from studies on restricted fishing zones; Ways to maintain sustainable fish populations in the face of human and natural threats.
- Dealing with a Resource Crisis: Regulatory Regimes for Managing the World's Marine Fisheries. Carr, Christopher J.; Scheiber, Harry N. // Stanford Environmental Law Journal;Jan2002, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p45
Discusses the management of the world's marine fisheries. Development of the central principle of sustainability in fisheries management; Problems with the initiatives on the conservation and management of fisheries; Efforts to implement global conservation standards for fisheries.
- Guardian Angels. Carey, Peta // North & South;Jul2004, Issue 220, p70
Provides information on the Fiordland Marine Conservation Strategy proposal presented by the Guardians of Fiorland group to the New Zealand Ministers of Fisheries and for the Environment in September 2003. Action taken by the Ministry for the Environment to support the Guardians; Features of...
- Movement to Close Loopholes in Shark Conservation. // Salt Water Sportsman;Sep99, Vol. 60 Issue 9, p64
Reports that the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) voted unanimously to begin developing complementary measures to conserve sharks in state waters. Significance of the plan; Comments from Sonja Fordham of the Center of Marine Conservation.
- Florida netters ordered to clean up campaign. // Salt Water Sportsman;Aug94, Vol. 55 Issue 8, Southern Edition pG
Reports on a cease and desist order issued to the Organized Fishermen of Florida (OFF) in response to their deceptive mailing sent out in the spring of 1994. Similarity of mailings to Save Our Sealife Committee's (SOS) mailings; Press condemnation of campaign.
- President Meets with Angling Groups. // Salt Water Sportsman;Jul2004, Vol. 65 Issue 7, p40
Focuses on the invitation of representatives from the American Sportfishing Association and the Coastal Conservation Association from U.S. President George W. Bush for a meeting with him at his ranch in Crawford, Texas.