American politics thrive locally
Tags: LOCAL government
- Training and technical assistance for local government in Hungary: A critique and suggestions for... Buss, Terry F.; Vaughan, Roger // East European Quarterly;Sep95, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p389
Evaluates the training and technical assistance for local government in Hungary. Features of American local government assistance; Other international initiatives to help the local government in Hungary; Problems with the local government assistance; Recommendations.
- Local government entities 1993. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);4/3/95, Vol. 42 Issue 14, 1995 LI Almanac p14
Presents a chart illustrating the number of local government entities in Long Island, New York as of 1993. Municipal corporations; Special purpose units; Special districts; Fire districts; County districts.
- Local government entities 1994. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);3/25/96 Supplement Almanac, Vol. 43 Issue 13, p14
Lists government entities in Long Island, New York in 1994. Municipal corporations; Special purpose units; Special districts in towns; Fire districts; County districts.
- The last rotten borough. Kelly, P. // New Statesman & Society;2/7/92, Vol. 5 Issue 188, p18
Criticizes the City Corporation of London, Britain's oldest and smallest local authority. History of the City Corporation; Overview of its privileges and responsibilities; Archaic electoral system; Flaws and weaknesses; Comparisons with other local councils; Why it makes a mockery of democracy;...
- Romance and the appointment commitment. // Public Management (00333611);Feb97, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p2
Presents advices to queries pertaining to local government service in the United States. Regulations of the local governments on employees who are planning to leave the community in less than two years.
- A low-stress way to cut purchasing costs. Newman, Stanley // Public Management (00333611);Feb97, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p27
Focuses on the local governments' cost reduction strategies in the United States. Extension of bidding process; Internet usage; Other cost-reduction tools.
- Local self-government in late Qing: Political discourse and moral reform. Lee, Theresa Man Ling // Review of Politics;Winter98, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p31
Examines the concept of local self-government in China, through analysis of the works of key reformists Kang Youwei (1858-1927) and Liang Qichao (1873-1929). Period at which reform efforts were examined; Reason local self-government gained support among China's educated elites; What the...
- Local self-government and the development of territories. Strongina, M. // Russian Social Science Review;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p16
Argues that nonstate status of local self-government in Russia is the principal guarantee of real self-government in government. Proofs of the unviability of the existing system of local self-government; Zemstvo experience as the history of struggle for popular representation; Legislative...
- Governing the American county in the 21st century. Menzel, Donald C. // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Summer96, Vol. 69 Issue 3, p48
Discusses five important issues and challenges facing counties in the United States in the 21st century. Structure and organization of county government; Leadership capacities; Fiscal management challenges; Role and responsibility in the intergovernmental system; Economic development; Question...
- The debureaucratization of Chicago. Rategan, Catherine A.; O'Hare, Kenneth // Training & Development;May96, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p95
Discusses the implementation of the Models of Excellence program by the government of Chicago, Illinois. Results of MOE at the Chicago Public Library; Department of Health; Cook County Central Services; Cook County Hospital; Department of Housing; Chicago Park District; Forest Preserve District...