Are we speaking horse Latin?
- Un-word of the year. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Sep1992, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p6
Says the Society for the German Language has chosen `besserwessi' (`West German know-it-all') as the `Word of the Year' for 1991, and `Auslanderfrei' or `foreigner-free' as most `inhumane language usage' of the year.
- Scrambling for a moral vocabulary. Wall, J.M. // Christian Century;12/5/90, Vol. 107 Issue 35, p1123
Editorial. Argues for the need of a moral vocabulary in American society. Junk bond king Michael Milken's felonies; Candidate Gary Hart's extramarital affair; Martin Luther King's plagiarism; More.
- Mediate survivors. Marty, M.E. // Christian Century;5/8/91, Vol. 108 Issue 16, p535
Considers the terms `immediate' and `survivor' used in obituaries. Dancer and choreographer Martha Graham's obituary; Other wording in obituaries.
- Commonly Confused English Words. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p707
No abstract available.
- Glossary. // Afghanistan;2005, pN.PAG
This section presents a glossary of terms related to the culture of Afghanistan.
- People are saying... Montoya, Sarah // Secretary;Oct95, Vol. 55 Issue 8, p28
Discusses words and phrases used by Americans with special meanings. Includes `alarmed'; `Bureaucrat'; `Deja vudoo economics.'
- Text as form. // Arts & Activities;Oct92, Vol. 112 Issue 2, p24
Tells how the author's students incorporate text into their artwork. Relation between the written word and the visual image; Graphic presentation, or what the words look like in relation to their meaning; Choice of size, color and style of type; Use of the word `eye' to depict the eye of a...
- NINCOMPOOPERY AND OTHER TERMS. McManus, P.; Trawin, D. // Saturday Evening Post;Apr91, Vol. 263 Issue 3, p22
Lists several of the author's favorite terms for groups of creatures, such as a sloth of bears, a murder of crows, or a sulk of fishermen.
- POWER WORDS. Bohannon, J.; Trawin, D. // Saturday Evening Post;Jul/Aug91, Vol. 263 Issue 5, p66
Presents a humorous view of the power certain words wield in advertising, relationships, and life in general.