The violence has got to stop
- Report abuse, union urges shop workers. // DIY Week;11/29/2013, Issue 5743, p5
The article focuses on the survey entitled "Freedom From Fear Survey Report 2013" by the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers (Usdaw), which shows that half of the sampled retail staff have suffered some form of violence at work.
- DYING TO SERVE YOU. DeLaurier, Gregory F. // Dollars & Sense;Sep/Oct2001, Issue 237, p27
Focuses on violence in the retail workplace in the United States (U.S.). Statistics from the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration; Reasons for the high level of violence in the retail workplace; Factors that make retail workplace dangerous; Recommendations for preventing workplace...
- Retailers risk increasing violence warns survey. Westphal, Linda // Cabinet Maker;06/26/98, Issue 5094, p3
Reports that Carters furniture store manager David Lofthouse was attacked by an irate consumer armed with a carving knife on June 13, 1998. Details surrounding the incident; Customer's complaint that chairs he had bought from the store had developed a fault; Increase in number of violent...
- Jitters In Sri Lanka. // Emerging Markets Monitor;2/24/2003, Vol. 8 Issue 43, p7
Reports on the violent incident in Sri Lanka, involving Tamil Tiger rebels, that raised concerns about the stability of the nation's peace process during the third week of February 2003.
- Starting from scratch. Biles, P. // Africa Report;May/Jun91, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p56
Discusses the civil war that still rages in Somalia, threatening to split the country into rival factions, after failed attempts to hold a national reconciliation conference. Flight of President Mohamed Siad Barre; United Somali Congress (USC); Somali National Movement (SNM); SOS Children's...
- Madagascar. // Africa Report;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p7
Details the political wave of violence in Madagascar, focusing on the mounting unrest towards President Didier Ratsiraka's, 54, 16-year-old regime. Ratsiraka's `social revolution,' codified in a charter called Boky Mena (Little Red Book); Hardline rule; The Front for Defense of the Revolution...
- The Tuareg rebellion. Rowland, Jacky // Africa Report;Jul/Aug92, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p43
Reports that the Berber-speaking Tuaregs of northern Mali rebelled against the authorities two years ago with small-scale attacks on government targets. The violence escalated; Malian soldiers carrying out massacres of entire Tuareg villages; Many Tuaregs have since fled Mali, some 35,000...
- The gun culture. Garson, Phillippa // Africa Report;Jul/Aug92, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p58
Reports that angry youths in the black townships--already riven by continuing violence between ANC and Inkatha supporters--have become deeply drawn into the culture of the gun. Well-armed ANC defense units have fought each other as they jockey for power; Significant for the ANC is the issue of...
- Handling violence. Taibbi, Robert // Current Health 2;Feb1994, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p19
Gives advice for handling violence. Anger as most important emotion in violence; Importance of communication and handling of feelings; Tips for reacting to a violent situation. INSET: Working it out..