How Israel has trapped itself
- Notes on church-state affairs: Israel. Hendon, David W.; Kennedy, James M. // Journal of Church & State;Winter97, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p184
Reports on the developments related to church-state affairs in Israel. Reactions to a court ruling that blocked the Sabbath closing of Bar-Ilan street in Jerusalem; Yasser Arafat's call for protest on the lack of progress in the peace negotiations; Talks in Washington, D.C.
- Peace and tourism flourish together. Lisella, Maria // Travel Agent;11/13/95 Supplement Israel, Vol. 277 Issue 9, p12
Focuses on the favorable conditions for tourists due to Israel's peace talks with neighboring Arab nations. Increase in access to Biblical sites; Revival of the tourism industry; Upcoming cultural and social events. INSET: Coming attractions..
- Before and after. LeVine, Mark // Tikkun;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p14
Comments on continuous war in the territories of Israel. Information on structural violence in Hebron; Psychological or physical torture which affects the families of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel; Statements from Dr. Haider Abdul-Shafi, elder statesman of Palestinian politics in Gaza.
- The big picture. Post, Marlene E. // Tikkun;May/Jun98, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p60
Opinion. Comments on social conditions in Israel, focusing on advancements made in the country's health services. Reference to Israel's 50th anniversary; Aspects of politics in Israel; Information on medical aid in Israel; Cynicism on Israel's political situation; Description of medical...
- Palestine after Desert Storm. Burtchaell, J.T. // America;6/22/1991, Vol. 164 Issue 24, p679
Looks at ways of achieving regional peace in Israel through providing homeland for the Palestinians. Limited rights in Israel for Palestinians; West Bank and Gaza Strip as possible Palestinian homeland; Increased emigration of Jews to Israel; Proposal to restore Galilee and the Triangle to...
- Modern, secular ways battle notion of biblical homeland. Battersby, John // Christian Science Monitor;5/22/96, Vol. 88 Issue 124, p9
Focuses on the social and economic revolution in Israel. Social, economic and political events reshaping the country; Challenges to the religious and communal values that epitomize Judaism; Development of Israeli individualism; Relations with other Arab countries.
- Redefining what it means to be an Israeli. // Christian Science Monitor;5/22/96, Vol. 88 Issue 124, p9
Focuses on the social life and culture in Israel. Division between the religious and secular Jews; Significance of the assassination of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin by a religious jew in November 1995; Redefining the meaning of Jewish identity; Israeli Ministry of Education's publication of the...
- The dichotomy that is Israel. Blum, Albert A. // Contemporary Review;Mar1994, Vol. 264 Issue 1538, p129
Focuses on the author's dichotomous perception of Israel. Difference between the land that used to be Syrian and the land that continued to be Israel; Dichotomy of ideals between socialism and nationalism; Dichotomy of learning and scholarship; Violations of basic principles of religious...
- The view from the West Bank. Salpeter, E. // New Leader;6/26/89, Vol. 72 Issue 10, p5
Recounts the author's personal experiences when visiting Jewish settlements on Israel's West Bank. Ideology and idealism of the settlers; Political tone of the communities.