Evidence-Based Medicine in Practice
- A new treatment option for severe heart failure. Myers, Kathryn A. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;10/03/2000, Vol. 163 Issue 7, p877
Discusses a treatment option for congestive heart failure (CHF). Design; Results; Suggestion that patients with severe CHF need to be treated with low-dose spironolactone for two years to prevent death.
- Evidence, Preferences, Recommendations ï¿½ Finding the Right Balance in Patient Care. Quill, Timothy E.; Holloway, Robert G. // New England Journal of Medicine;5/3/2012, Vol. 366 Issue 18, p1653
The article examines how a physician should proceed in the case of a 75-year-old male patient with congestive heart failure who is ambivalent to the suggestion that he is a candidate for a ventricular assist device (VAD). It offers information on decision making in evidence-based medicine and...
- Recent Literature. // Journal of Palliative Medicine;Sep2010, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p1165
The article presents abstracts on medical topics which include a study on the sources of knowledge that surrogates rely on to overcome disagreements related to a patient's prognosis by E. A. Boyd and colleagues, one on the overview of pain pathophysiology, oncologic, as well as psychologic...
- Diuretic Use in Heart Failure and Outcomes. von Lueder, T G; Atar, D; Krum, H // Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics;Oct2013, Vol. 94 Issue 4, p490
Diuretics are frequently administered to relieve congestive symptoms in patients with heart failure (HF). Despite their widespread use, prospective data on the potential of diuretics to modulate HF-related morbidity and mortality are scarce. Diuretic efficacy may be limited by adverse...
- Therapeutic options for congestive heart failure. Ross, Brendan S.; King, Jeffery M.; Fischer, Richard G. // Drug Topics;2/16/98, Vol. 124 Issue 4, p102
Presents information on congestive heart failure (CHF) with reference to its therapeutic options in the United States. Estimation of the amount of Americans who are afflicted with CHF; What have been associated with the increase prevalence and incidence of heart failure; Details on the diagnosis...
- Evaluation of treatment for congestive heart failure in patients aged 60 years and older using... Jenkinson, Crispin; Jenkinson, Damian // Age & Ageing;Jan1997, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p7
Evaluates treatment for congestive heart failure of older patients using generic measures of health status measures. Form 36 (SF-36) and Dartmouth COOP charts; Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor treatment; Indication for SF-36 and COOP charts health status measures; Standardized...
- Treating congestive heart failure. Massin, Edward K. // Cortlandt Forum;1/25/96, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p165
Discusses the possible treatments at preventing or controlling congestive heart failure (CHF). Persons who are likely to develop CHF; Symptoms; Prognosis.
- New beta-blocker shown to cut mortality rate. Alexander, Walter // Drug Topics;12/11/95, Vol. 139 Issue 23, p51
Reports on the benefits in congestive heart failure (CHF) patients by treatment with carvedilol, a vasodilating beta-blocker with antioxidant effects. Association of agent with improved mortality, hemodynamic and clinical status; Reduction of risks of worsening CHF; Approval of carvedilol in...
- CHF: Current strategies, future developments. Rodgers, Katie // Drug Topics;2/21/94, Vol. 138 Issue 4, p20
Focuses on the approaches for treating congestive heart failure (CHF). Digoxin; Diuretics; ACE inhibitors; Role of nitrates; Beta-blockers; Use of calcium-channel blockers; Development of CHF treatment; Increased CHF incidence.