The myth of the model minority
- Tilting the playing field. // Advertising Age;6/22/92, Vol. 63 Issue 25, p18
Presents a commentary by Sid Bernstein on his opinion that one of the most important problems in American life stems from the fact that there are altogether too many `minorities' who are busily, and often angrily, seeking `equality'--the kind of equality that makes them a little more equal than...
- National centers on minority aging. Bush, M. // Aging;1989, Issue 359, p33
Describes current work of four national organizations which are funded by the Administration on Aging. The four organizations are: The National Caucus and Center on Black Aged, the National Indian Council on Aging, The National Association for Hispanic Elderly and the National Pacific/Asian...
- Baseball teams establish minority... // Black Enterprise;Jul88, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p23
Discusses the minority scholarship programs the Oakland Athletics and Chicago White Sox baseball organizations have established with Ohio University.
- Study rues plight of `one-third of a nation.' // Black Enterprise;Aug88, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p24
The Commission on Minority Participation in Education and American Life has concluded that one third of the nation, namely America's minority population, is living in poverty and deprivation. The Commission reflects that President Roosevelt realized the same conditions during the Great...
- No gain in the newsroom. Charles, N. // Black Enterprise;Sep90, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p20
Presents highlights of a recent survey on minorities and women in daily newspapers conducted by the American Newspaper Publishers Association (ANPA). Includes key results.
- On the scarcity of black professors. Thernstrom, A.M. // Commentary;Jul90, Vol. 90 Issue 1, p22
Discusses the call for more blacks, women and other minorities in university teaching positions, and the reasons they aren't being hired. Absence of black doctorates; Graduate school applicants; Explanations for low level of black success in college; Reform toward minority teachers in California.
- The hispanic armada. // Christian Science Monitor;11/29/96, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p20
States that the United States' largest `minority' is Hispanic. How the political parties responded to the amount of Hispanic voters for the 1996 election; Remark from conservative columnist, Paul Gigot.
- National Minority Business Council announces new... // Diversity Suppliers & Business Magazine;Winter95, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p12
Looks at the launching of the National Minority Business Council's (NMBC) Business Mentorship Program. Contact number for information.
- Your own keeper. Taylor, S.L. // Essence (Essence);Jan1992, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p45
Opinion. Urges black women to embrace their own self-worth. How racism, sexism and classism have historically conspired to devalue black womanhood; Importance of nourishing and nurturing the body, mind and spirit.
- Supreme Court affirms FCC minority remedies; White's rights not violated. // Jet;7/16/90, Vol. 78 Issue 14, p27
Discusses a recent US Supreme Court ruling that permits the federal government to favor minorities when awarding broadcast licenses. Significance to affirmative action; Comments by Justice William J. Brennan.