The State of Optoelectronics
- Eliminating the access network choke point. Scott, Bob; Loveless, Robert // CED;Sep2000, Vol. 26 Issue 9, p56
Reports on the development of carrier-class optical electronics that help cable operators open the access bottleneck. Operation of optical platforms in climate-controlled indoor environments; Fiber-deep deployments providing added bandwidth; Advantages of the third ring architecture over...
- Optomechanics provides many mounting choices. Sebastian, Rick // Laser Focus World;May2001, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p259
Discusses how to select the proper optical mounts. Definition of an optical axis; Information on lens mounting; Common lens holders.
- FTTH a varied driver of cabled fiber demand. Fay, Patrick // Lightwave;Apr2005, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p31
The article informs that the cabled fiber market saw both good and bad news in 2004, which pretty much canceled each other out. North America and Western Europe, were stronger in 2004, especially North America. On the other hand, the two leading countries within Asia-Pacific, Japan and China,...
- Fiber communications turn 40. Anderson, Stephen G. // Laser Focus World;Mar2006, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p9
The article focuses on the emergence of plastic optical fiber (POF), a lower-cost fiber for low-speed and short-distance applications. It offers information about the developments of photonics and its applications. The author also discusses the use of POF in automobiles as emerging vehicle...
- Imaging & Detector Industry Report. Wallace, John // Laser Focus World;Oct99, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p57
Presents news on imaging and detector industry as of October 1999. Contract of Photobit Corp. for the United States Army White Sands Missile Range; Emerging optoelectronics firms supported by New Jersey's Technology Transfer and Commercialization Program; Photon Dynamics' acquisition of CR...
- Guess Who'll Pick Up The Tab For Optical Networks? Knight, Fred A. // Business Communications Review;Sep2001, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p4
Focuses on the optical networking industry. Analysis of the optical networking market; Factors contributing to the slow down of the market; Approach used by the industry to counter the slow down.
- Thulium doping produces tunability at 2 Micro m. Marx, Bridget R. // Laser Focus World;Jul2000, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p36
Describes the development of a thulium-doped silica fiber laser. Advantages of using cladding-pumped fiber lasers; Components of the laser; Threshold performance of the laser; Findings on the tunability of the laser.
- OFC postdeadline work adds speed, distance, and flexibility. Hecht, Jeff // Laser Focus World;May2000, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p17
Deals with issues discussed during the 25th annual Optical Fiber Communications conference in Baltimore, Maryland in March 2000. Important trends in optoelectronics; Description of the optically pumped vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser; Features of the CoreTek laser.
- Planar lightguide circuits take many forms. Shine, Bob; Bautista, Jerry; Sullivan, Kevin // Laser Focus World;Feb2001, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p101
Reports on the development of planar lightguide circuits (PLC). Benefits offered by PLC; Designs and requirements of PLC; Addition of active functions to PLC.