Seafaring's a dangerous game
- A LEGAL ANALYSIS OF CIVIL LIABILITY FOR OIL POLLUTION DAMAGE. ADASCALITEI, OANA // Analele Universitatii Maritime Constanta;2012, Vol. 13 Issue 17, p17
A long series of maritime disasters that have caused major damage by oil pollution at sea have been the catalyst for developing a new international legislation. Stemming from the compromise between the interests of the shipping industry and the oil interests, the new statutory liability regime...
- Sea Empress disaster still raising concerns. // Sustain' Magazine;2006, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p8
The article focuses on the 2006 World Wide Fund commissioned report "An Overview of Shipping Activities in UK Waters: Ten Years on From the Sea Empress Disaster," which reveals that British seas are still under threat from future oil spills. The Sea Empress accident ranks not only as Wales'...
- Oil spill closes Texas shipping channel. // Industrial Safety & Hygiene News;May2014, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p12
The article reports on the closure of the Houston Shipping Channel, in Texas caused due to a collision between a ship and a barge which spilled heavy oil into Galveston Bay, Texas on March 22, 2014 and mentions that the closure led to several problems including shipping traffic.
- Spill prompts safety focus. Unsworth, Edwin // Business Insurance;01/24/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p23
Reports on maritime safety concerns arising from an oil spill caused by the breakup of Totalfina's chartered oil tanker Erika off France. Ownership of the tanker by Maltese firm Tavere Shipping Co.; Totalfina's promise to finance the removal of fuel oil in the tanker's wreckage and the cleanup...
- Australia shoots itself in the foot… and New Zealand follows suit. Baird, Neil // Ausmarine;Nov2011, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p5
The author criticizes the Australian government for imposing harsher penalties on any ship causing damage to the marine environment and the reactions of New Zealand's politicians to the grounding of Costamare Inc.'s container ship "Rena" in October 2011 that caused a massive oil spill within the...
- EVENTS CALENDAR. // Ausmarine;Aug2013, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p38
A calendar of events for the marine industries from August through September 2013 is presented, which includes Defence & Security Equipment International (DSEI), London International Shipping Week, and Seafarers Welfare Forum.
- Shipping Australia: Rise in protection of the sea levy of great concern. // Ausmarine;Apr2010, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p16
The article reports on Australia's proposed tax on the international shipping industry to contribute to clean up costs of the oil spill off the Queensland coast by the Pacific Adventurer.
- On a risk management analysis of oil spill risk using maritime transportation system simulation. Dorp, J.; Merrick, Jason // Annals of Operations Research;Jul2011, Vol. 187 Issue 1, p249
Is it safer for New Orleans river gambling boats to be underway than to be dockside? Is oil transportation risk reduced by lowering wind restrictions from 45 to 35 knots at Hinchinbrook Entrance for laden oil tankers departing Valdez, Alaska? Should the International Safety Management (ISM) code...
- Oil spill response tested. // Crisis Response Journal;2013, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p4
The article offers information on the oil spill response exercise held by the Finnish and Estonian authorities off the coast of Kotka, Finland in August 2013.