Polio outbreak in Tajikistan is cause for alarm
- WHO, UNICEF joint news note: Polio outbreak in Horn of Africa, six months on. // African Business News;11/22/2013, p24
The article focuses on the report of the World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF regarding the polio outbreak in Horn of Africa since May 2013. It says that the progression of the disease has decreased in Kenya, Ethiopa, and Somalia due to the rapid response of the governments and their...
- Angola hampering the chances of a polio-free Africa. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;10/16/2010, Issue 614, p10
The article reports that a mass polio vaccination campaign was initiated by the World Health Organization (WHO) in Angola in an effort to eradicate polio in children under 5 years of age.
- Walking, talking polio factories jeopardise global eradication plans. Coghlan, Andy // New Scientist;7/27/2002, Vol. 175 Issue 2353, p8
Focuses on the effect of mutated oral polio vaccination on the global proliferation of the disease. Impact of mutated oral vaccine on the global eradication plans of polio; Desire of the World Health Organization on ending routine polio vaccinations; Risk on ending polio vaccination.
- Conflicts threaten polio target. Day, Michael // New Scientist;5/11/96, Vol. 150 Issue 2029, p7
Reports that wars in developing countries and vaccines of dubious quality threaten the World Health Organization's (WHO) plan to eradicate polio by the year 2000. Goals set by the WHO's Global Program for Vaccines and Immunization; Inability of field workers to reach children in politically...
- WHO continues global eradication of polio. // Public Health Reports;May/Jun97, Vol. 112 Issue 3, p184
Reports on the two of the biggest problem of World Health Organization (WHO) in the race to eradicate polio by the year 2000. Supplemental immunization initiated by WHO; Name of the operation; Sponsor of the operation; Region serve by the immunization; Estimated budget for the effort to...
- Progress Toward Poliomyelitis Eradication--South East Asia Region, 1997-1998. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;3/26/1999, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p230
Summarizes the progress in vaccination coverage and surveillance of cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) due to poliomyelitis in the South East Asia Region (SEAR) member countries. Implementation of polio eradication strategies in World Health Organization (WHO) SEAR members; Establishment of...
- The Surge. // Wired;Dec2013, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p218
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of traveling to Jalalabad, Afghanistan to carry out the World Health Organization's polio campaign.
- WHO Experts Signal Victory Over 1 of 3 Polio Strains. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;1/1/2016, Vol. 62 Issue 1, pi
The article discusses comments from experts at World Health Organization (WHO) regarding no polio virus strain 2 cases except in Pakistan and Afghanistan, suggestion to stop vaccinating children against strain 2 and comments from Hamid Jafari of WHO, to phase out type 1 and type 3 vaccines.
- Pakistani Polio Hits Syria, Proving No Country Is Safe Until All Are. Baker, Aryn // Time.com;11/14/2013, p1
The article discusses reports by the World Health Organization (WHO) of polio virus outbreaks spreading from Pakistan to Syria as of November 2013. According to the article, the outbreaks may be a result of population movement and the vulnerability of Syria's population. Other topics include...