Life in the 90's
- Inside Washington. // National Journal;7/27/2002, Vol. 34 Issue 30, preceding p2219
Presents various political and social updates in the U.S. as of July 2002. Details of the political career of Democrat Rahm Emanuel of Chicago, Illinois; Description of the building of environmental group Defenders of Wildlife.
- Reassessing and Reaffirming Value. Svara, James H. // PA Times;Nov2000, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p3
Comments on the need to understand the importance of council-manager system of government in the United States. Shifts in patterns of administrative interaction under the system; Factors to consider in making changes for adopting the system.
- VOTE! // Dirt Bike;Nov2000, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p36
Presents news items related to politics in the United States as of November 2000. Legislations related to dirt bikes; Senate seats available for Republicans; Campaign of Bill Clinton and Al Gore in the 92 elections.
- Political realism. // Christian Science Monitor;7/18/96, Vol. 88 Issue 163, p20
Opinion. Asserts that many assumptions fueling political discontent in the United States are myths. Citizen and Christian Right participation in politics; Political action committees; Rationale of third parties; Unity stemming from the American Constitution; System of checks and balances.
- What made the government grow. Weisberger, Bernard A. // American Heritage;Sep97, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p34
Analyzes what made the United States government grow in size and costs from 18th century to the 20th century. How the number of government offices increased from the time of President George Washington to the 21st century; Federal spending; Federal civilian payroll; Percentage of bureaucrats;...
- Cameras in polling places, free media for candidates. Varoga, Craig // Campaigns & Elections (1996);Dec2002/Jan2003, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p92
Gives advice on political campaigning and practical politics in the U.S. Rules on cameras in polling places; Legality of strict rules by local television stations regarding the content of political advertising; Management of a news story that contains a false allegation about a candidate.
- Government. // United States Country Review;2001/2002, p31
Discusses various aspects of government in the United States. Ratification of the Constitution which took effect in 1788; Responsibilities of the executive, legislative and judicial branches of the government; Description of the electoral system in the country.
- Why the Era of Big Government Isn't Over. DeMuth, Christopher C. // Commentary;Apr2000, Vol. 109 Issue 4, p23
Discusses the era of big government in the United States (US). Problems in the US that are, in many ways, the result of freedom and prosperity; When the era of big government began; How the US Congress could revise or reverse any or all of the developments of the government.
- Explaining the Size of the Public Sector: Responsive and Excessive Government Interpretations (Book Review). Berry, William D.; Lowery, David // Journal of Politics;May87, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p401
Discusses the two components of government size in the United States. Logic of disaggregation; Responsive-government interpretation of domestic purchases; Government employment and the scope of domestic purchases.
- "'Tis time to part": Breaking away from bipartisan barbarism. Tucker, Scott // Humanist;Mar/Apr95, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p44
Provides insights on bipartisanship in the United States by focusing on political ideologies. Rightist movement; New Left movement; Neo-liberalism and neo-conservatism; Liberalism.