Mr. Rogers goes to Washington
- Mr.Rogers' 'Hallowed Ground.' Greenwald, Arthur // Broadcasting & Cable;3/3/2003, Vol. 133 Issue 9, p10
Discusses the achievements of television programs producer Fred Rogers in the field of public television in the U.S. Success of the kids' program Children's Corner created by Rogers and an actress-cum-secretary Josie Carey; Focus of Rogers on use of television for child development; Highlights...
- A third way for ACCESS. Teel, Gina // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;3/15/93, Vol. 20 Issue 13, p38
Discusses concerns over the expendability of ACCESS Network, the province's public broadcaster which was established by Peter Lougheed's Conservative Alberta administration two decades ago. Possibility of closing or selling the ACCESS TV operation and its radio arm CKUA; Ideas of Wendell Wilks,...
- The politics of public television. Horowitz, D. // Commentary;Dec91, Vol. 92 Issue 6, p25
Discusses public television which was created by the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967. One of the last vestiges of the `Great Society'; Its private benefactors; Its organizational complexities; Some of its broadcasting luminaries; Its alleged left-wing bias; Attempts to put it out of business;...
- Beyond Masterpiece Theater. Hedegaard, E. // Mother Jones;Oct89, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p49
Comments on a new law that will expand the creative boundaries of the Public Broadcasting System's (PBS') programming. Possible programs that may follow; Funding and individual station's rights.
- Ark. debate case heard. // Electronic Media;10/13/97, Vol. 16 Issue 42, p30
No abstract available.
- In the public interest. Wall, James M. // Christian Century;4/5/95, Vol. 112 Issue 11, p355
Advocates the retention of public television. Cutting federal support for the arts and humanities; Record of commercial television in producing people-oriented programs and serving the common good; Relation between television and civic responsibility; Partnership between education and public...
- Detroit Public TV planning for digital conversion. // Broadcasting & Cable;04/20/98, Vol. 128 Issue 17, p102
Looks at the series of personnel changes at Detroit Public Television, aimed at boosting the company's efforts to convert to digital technology by the year 2003. Listing of several of the appointments.
- Going commercial on public TV. // New York;9/30/85, Vol. 18 Issue 37, p18
At first, funders of programs on public television got a brief visual or voice-over identification. Then came `enhanced underwritings' where a corporate logo could appear on screen, accompanied by words and images. Now the `general service announcement' which looks, talks, and costs like an...
- Think again. // Broadcasting & Cable;7/19/93, Vol. 123 Issue 29, p70
Editorial. Comments on the recommendations of the Twentieth Century Fund for revising the public broadcasting system. Suggested funding scheme; Proposal to abolish public television.