Beyond Open or Closed Borders
- Memorandum on FY 2009 Refugee Admissions Numbers and Authorizations of In-Country Refugee Status. Bush, George W. // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;10/6/2008, Vol. 44 Issue 39, p1283
The article presents the text of memorandum on Fiscal Year 2009 refugee admissions numbers and authorizations of in-country refugee status, signed by U.S. President George W. Bush on September 30, 2008. The president authorizes the admission of up to 80,000 refugees to the U.S. during Fiscal...
- House bills would further restrict immigration. Gerrie, Sharon // Las Vegas Business Press;06/14/99, Vol. 16 Issue 23, p1
Reports on two bills proposing that the United States government impose stricter immigration laws. Reduction of the immigrant categories; Amendment of a law denying citizenship at birth to children born to non-citizen or permanent resident aliens; Goal to reduce the annual number of immigrants...
- IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR? RETAINING JUDICIAL REVIEW FOR DEPORTED LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIENS. Parker, Alison Leal // Columbia Law Review;Apr2001, Vol. 101 Issue 3, p605
Focuses on the limitation of judicial review of immigration cases in the United States. Revision on the US immigration law; Expansion of categories of aliens; Access of aliens to federal courts for petition base on writ of habeas corpus.
- Bordering on Softer Stance. Higgins, Michael // ABA Journal;Jul99, Vol. 85 Issue 7, p71
Discusses legislation pertaining to immigrants in the United States. Impact of immigration laws passed in 1996 on immigrants and their advocates; Implications of the upcoming national elections on immigration policies; Thrust of a bill that seeks to reverse portions of the restrictive 1996...
- Let my people stay. Clarke, Kevin // U.S. Catholic;May2000, Vol. 65 Issue 5, p42
Deals with the treatment and concern toward sojourners which include travelers, visitors, refugees and anybody else on the move in the United States. Reading in Deuteronomy 10; Reason for the bible's concern for sojourners; Impact of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility...
- Congressional actions causing problems for area immigrants. Klein, Ed // Fairfield County Business Journal;04/09/2001, Vol. 40 Issue 15, pS2
Reports on the April 30, 2001, deadline for immigrants to comply with the documentation requirements set by the United States government. Red tape that immigrants go through to keep a job and residence in the U.S.; Complications for immigrants who are eligible to maintain residence and...
- CLINIC reports relate stories, facts, figures. Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;09/29/2000, Vol. 36 Issue 42, p4
Details the findings of the Catholic Legal Immigrant Network report on the plight of immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers in the United States. Statistics on foreign-born households and children who lived in mixed status in the country; Discussion on immigration law; Detention centers...
- Hindus, Buddhists multiply in America. // South Asian Post;5/17/2012, p10
The article focuses on a report released by a professor from the Baylor University, Waco, Texas based on the U.S. Religion Census, according to which Buddhist and Hindu communities have grown steadily in the U.S. since changes in immigration laws in 1965 and 1992.
- New Hope for Illegals? Cooper, Matthew // Time;1/19/2004, Vol. 163 Issue 3, p18
Reports on a plan by President George W. Bush to reform immigration laws affecting Hispanic immigrants in the United States. How the plan would work; Question of will the plan work; Discussion of wether or not the plan will pass through Congress.