2008 - Why A-level evidence does not make it to clinicians' A-lists: the case of thromboprophylaxis in medical patients (Editorial)
- Factor V Leiden Mutation in Venous Thrombosis in Southeast Turkey. Kalkanli, Sevgi; Ayyildiz, Orhan; Tiftik, Naci; Batun, Sabri; Isikdogan, Abdurrahman; Ince, Hakan; Tekes, Selahaddin; Muftuoglu, Ekrem // Angiology;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p193
Venous thrombosis (VT) is a common disease, with an annual incidence in the general population of approximately 1 per 1,000. Factor V Leiden mutation (G1691A) (FVL) is the most common risk factor in venous thrombosis. The prevalence of FVL for thrombosis varies greatly in different regions of...
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism: Clinical and economic implications. Spyropoulos, Alex C. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;10/15/2006 Supplement, Vol. 63, pS3
The article discusses the prevention of the risk of acquiring venous thromboembolism (VTE) by people living in the U.S. The VTE has been the major burden in the country's health care system, with an estimated annual incidence of 0.1% for the first time VTE. This disease has been leading to a...
- The Sunnybrook Experience: Review of Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism in Otolaryngology. Lee, John; Alexander, Ashlin; Higgins, Kevin; Geerts, William // Journal of Otolaryngology -- Head & Neck Surgery;Aug2008, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p547
Objective: To determine the incidence of venous thromboembolism in otolaryngology patients at a Canadian tertiary care hospital. Methods: This was a retrospective review of all otolaryngology operations at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre between January 1, 1989, and December 31, 2004. All...
- Prognostic Value of Neutrophil to Lymphocyte Ratio in Patients with Acute Pulmonary Embolism: A Restrospective Study. Kayrak, Mehmet; Erdoğan, Halil İbrahim; Solak, Yalcin; Akıllı, Hakan; Gül, Enes Elvin; Yıldırım, Oğuzhan; Erer, Murat; Akıllı, Nezire Belgin; Bekci, Taha Tahir; Arıbaş, Alpay; Yazıcı, Mehmet // Heart, Lung & Circulation;Jan2014, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p56
Background: Acute pulmonary embolism (PE) is a serious clinical condition characterised by a high mortality rate. Previous studies showed that leukocytosis was associated with recurrences of venous thromboemboli, major bleeding and increased mortality. The aim of the present study was to...
- Incidence of Symptomatic Venous Thromboembolism After Elective Knee Arthroscopy. Maletis, Gregory B.; Inacio, Maria C. S.; Reynolds, Sarah; Funahashi, Tadashi T. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;4/18/2012, Vol. 94-A Issue 8, p714
Background: Knee arthroscopy is the most commonly performed orthopaedic procedure in the United States and is usually considered to be a low-risk procedure. The purposes of this study were to describe the incidence of symptomatic deep venous thrombosis, symptomatic pulmonary embolism, and...
- Heparin prophylaxis for deep venous thrombosis in a patient with multiple injuries: an evidence-based approach to a clinical problem. Hill, Andrew B.; Garber, Brian; Dervin, Geoffrey; Howard, Andrew // Canadian Journal of Surgery;Aug2002, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p282
Examines the efficacy of heparin prophylaxis for deep venous thrombosis in a patient with multiple injuries. Decrease of pulmonary embolism; Reduction of phlebitis and trauma; Elimination of external injuries.
- Collaborative overview of randomised trials of antiplatelet therapy-III: Reduction in venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism by antiplatelet prophylaxis among surgical and medical patients. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);1/22/94, Vol. 308 Issue 6923, p234
Examines the efficacy of antiplatelet therapy as prophylaxis against deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism in surgical and high risk patients. Reduction in DVT; Evidence of greater effect in combination with other forms of thromboprophylaxis; Effect of antiplatelet therapy pm...
- Acid Hyperphenylphosphatasia in Thrombophlebitis and Pulmonary Embolism. Schoenfeld, Myron R.; Lepow, Harold; Woll, Fanya; Edis, Gloria // Annals of Internal Medicine;Sep62, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p468
Examines acid hyperphenylphosphatasia in thrombophlebitis and pulmonary embolism. Measurement of acid phenylphosphatase activity; Diagnosis of thrombophlebitis; Case reports on the occurrence of the disease in several patients.
- Q/Do endovascular filters prevent PE as effectively as anti-coagulants in patients with DVT? Flaim, Allison; Brennan, Michal; Safranek, Sarah // Journal of Family Practice;
The article provides an answer to a question about the effectiveness of endovascular filters in preventing pulmonary embolism to patients with deep venous thrombosis (DVT).