Sounding Off About "Special" Specials
- Start warnings about future sight loss aired. Challinor, David // Optometry Today;6/5/2009, Vol. 49 Issue 11, p8
The author reflects on the predicted increase in the number of people with partial sight and blindness in Great Britain by 2050. He revealed the findings of a research on the prevalence of early, wet and dry age-related macular degeneration (AMD) from 2010 to 2020. He claimed that preventive...
- Protons vs. x-rays: The subatomic smackdown. J. S. // Men's Health;Mar2011, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p96
The article offers information on the proton-beam therapy and standard targeted radiation therapy.
- Additions to the Myxomycetes of Singapore. Rosing, Wayne C.; Mitchell, David W.; Moreno, Gabriel; Stephenson5, Steven L. // Pacific Science;Jul2011, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p391
Much of Southeast Asia remains understudied for myxomycetes ( plasmodial slime molds or myxogastrids). This survey of myxomycetes was carried out at 12 study sites throughout Singapore during March 2009. Sporocarps that developed in moist-chamber cultures of bark, forest floor litter, and aerial...
- Myxomycetes from Trabzon and Giresun Provinces (Turkey). Ocak, Ijlal; Haseneko&gcaron;lu, Ismet // Turkish Journal of Botany;2005, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p11
This study serves as a checklist of the myxomycetes of Trabzon and Giresun provinces, Turkey. Sixty-one myxomycete were identified, 20 of which were collected in the field and 41 grown in moist chamber culture. In addition, we report all taxa new for Giresun and Trabzon, including the following...
- Lighthouse gives tips for how to live with vision impairment. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;02/14/2000, Vol. 10 Issue 26, p22
Reports on Lighthouse International's tips for the visually impaired on how to carry out their daily activities with confidence. Estimated number of visually impaired people in New York; Eye conditions that can impair vision.
- Electrophoresis for the visually impaired: The modification of the Lambda protocol and its use... Brown, Norman // Journal of Biological Education;Autumn95, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p166
Reports on the modification of the lambda protocol for electrophoresis to enable visually impaired students to perform electrophoresis. Preparation of gel and DNA; Use of a light probe to view the gel.
- When words say more than pictures. Pinkwas, Stan; Antonoff, Michael // Popular Science;Aug95, Vol. 247 Issue 2, p29
Focuses on the advent of described videos for the visually impaired in the United States. Features of the described videos; Television stations with described videos program; Incorporation of the Secondary Audio Programs in video cassette recorders as impetus for the growing popularity of the...
- Learning and study strategies of secondary school students with visual impairments. Erin, J.N.; Corn, A.L. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Sep93, Vol. 87 Issue 7, p263
Presents a study of the learning and study skills of high school students with visual impairments. Use of Learning and Study Strategies Inventory: High School Version; Development of Inventory's extension for students with visual impairments; Differences in students' grade-point averages;...
- Visual impairment and diabetes: A personal and professional perspective. Reardon, A.W. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Nov93, Vol. 87 Issue 9, p329
Provides author's perspective in helping visually impaired persons with diabetes. Narration of author's condition seven years ago and lists of challenges; Psychological and physiological issues with loss of vision; Author's recommendations of rehabilitation specialists; Correlation of teamwork...