Microresearch: borrowing from the microfinance experience
- Life Sciences Discovery Fund offers $29M in grant program. // Medical Device Daily;11/24/2008, Vol. 12 Issue 229, p8
The article focuses on the 2008 grant competitions of the Life Sciences Discovery Fund (LSDF). Included funding opportunities are a grant competition of up to $8 million in total awards and a program grant competition of up to $20 million in total awards. The grants will support focused...
- Putting excellence at the heart of European research. // Nature Methods;Apr2007, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p295
Europe's new funding agency, the European Research Council, will award prestigious grants for basic research. This can make Europe a better place to do research, if the Research Council can maintain its independence and momentum.
- New strategies for funding academic research facilities. Schmitt, Roland W. // Physics Today;Sep85, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p144
Discusses strategies for funding academic research. Problems finding federal aid; Termination of major federal programs; Goldman, Sachs & Co which proposed a tax-exempt foundation for funding; Federal research and development budgets.
- The Illusion of Scholarship in Research and Solving Global Problems. Trevors, J. T.; Saier Jr., M. H. // Water, Air & Soil Pollution;Oct2006, Vol. 176 Issue 1-4, p1
The author reflects on the creation of the illusion of scholarship in research and the solution of global conundrums. He believes that granting agencies take little importance to the funding of research. He poses several questions to such issue including who decides what is important, what are...
- DOD AWARDS $43.9 MILLION TO UNIVERSITIES FOR RESEARCH EQUIPMENT. // Defense AT&L;May/Jun2005, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p115
Reports that the Department of Defense announced in 2005 plans to award $43.9 million to academic institutions to support the purchase of research instrumentation. Awards made under the Defense University Research Instrumentation Program; Analysis of pertinent topics and relevant issues;...
- Deadlines for Research Grants. Decandido, Graceanne A.; Mahony, Alan // School Library Journal;Jan91, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p9
Reports on the announcement of 1991 grant and research fellowships by the de Grummond Children's Literature Research Collection at the University of Southern Mississippi and the Children's Literature Association. Amount of the awards; Guidelines for the grants; Contact information.
- Why Academics Have a Hard Time Writing Good Grant Proposals. Porter, Robert // Journal of Research Administration;2007, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p161
This paper discusses the contrasting perspectives of academic prose versus grant writing, and lists strategies grant specialists can use to help researchers break old habits and replace them with techniques better suited to the world of competitive grant proposals.
- In pursuit of balance. // Nature;3/3/2005, Vol. 434 Issue 7029, p1
Focuses on the federal funding of research in Sunbelt States. Structure of research in the U.S.; Ways of encouraging research in the region.
- Grants for Rural Biz. Gunderson, Amy // Inc.;Sep2003, Vol. 25 Issue 9, p20
Focuses on EPSCoR, a grant program funded by the National Science Foundation and designed to foster scientific research in rural areas in the U.S. Variation in the rules underlying the program; Companies that were given the grant as of September 2003.