Today's Grunt may be Tomorrow's Chief
- Retool training to turn officers into leaders. Linstrom, John // Fire Chief Expert Blog;4/17/2013, p7
The article discusses focus areas to retool a fire-officer development program in a fire and rescue department in the U.S. It stresses that firefighters should be given opportunities to develop additional skills as part of a greater succession plan as they learn their job and begin to excel. It...
- Using Past Lessons to Prepare Future Leaders. HYDEN, TIM // Fire Engineering;Jul2010, Vol. 163 Issue 7, p71
The article provides information and advice on planning for the successful transition of leadership in the fire service. It is pointed out that some of the lessons learned in private industry with regard to succession planning may also be applied for fire fighting teams. The motivational...
- Relay Your Message and Pass the Baton. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Jan2012, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p80
The article presents the author's views concerning succession planning in fire departments in the U.S. He mentions that many fire departments are not yet prepared to initiate succession planning when the fire chief retires. He stresses the importance of developing the skills of firefighters as...
- Closing the leadership gap. METCALF, WILLIAM R. // Fire Chief;Nov2013, Vol. 57 Issue 11, p16
The article focuses on the approach to leadership development and succession planning adopted by officials and chiefs of fire department. According to the author, the promotional system in fire departments is based on self-motivated people who are willing to seek education, training and...
- Look Inside a Firehouse! // Scholastic News -- Edition 1;Oct2001, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p1
Describes the routine of firefighters inside a fire station.
- When seeing red is a good thing. Sanders, Ramona C. // Collinsville Herald;8/22/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 34, pA2
The article announces that the Collinsville Fire Department in Illinois will be participating in the Red Shirts Fridays national initiative where every firefighter will wear red shirts on Fridays beginning August 2012 as a way of showing support to the men and women serving in the U.S. military.
- LACK OF TRAINING, EQUIPMENT LEAD TO FATAL FIRES IN DETROIT. Claxton, Melvin; Hurt, Charles // IRE Journal;May/Jun2001, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the problems posed by inadequate training and equipment of firefighters in Detroit, Michigan.
- MANAGING THE PROBATIONARY FIREFIGHTER. Avillo, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Sep2001, Vol. 154 Issue 9, p39
Focuses on the ways in managing probationary firefighters. Upgrading of a firefighter; Obligations of the fire department on recruited firefighters; Orientation period of recruited firefighters.
- HEY, I'M STILL ASKING! Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Feb2003, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p144
Discusses issues concerning the tactics of fire departments. Importance of a roll call for on-duty firefighters; Preparedness of the staff in a fire department; Duties and responsibilities of a fire personnel.